Gear | Tour | Industry Insider

Tuition:

Video Library | Tuition Sections

Community:

Join | Log In | Help | Useful Links

New Forum System - click here to visit our new & improved forum system >>>

New golfer advice needed

Posted by: user468941 | Mon 18th Jun 2012 13:47 | Last Reply

Hi guys sure youve probs seen a post like this a million time but thought id ask some experts. im new to the game and i am really struggling to decide what clubs to go for .... some poeple say go for a cheap set and ive seen dunlop clubs for �5 a iron however i have a budget of �200 so would it be better going for a 2nd hand iron set and then driver. any advice is welcome aswell as what clubs people would reccomend. thanks guys

re: New golfer advice needed
user468941
Reply : Mon 18th Jun 2012 16:04

erm anyone?

user473042
Reply : Mon 18th Jun 2012 16:41

hi karl well iam not a expert karl but when i started. i just went out and bought a new set for about �150 then used them for about 3 year then bought a set of callaway for a bargin price of �200 new i just found this web site where you could get a great deal http://www.golfbidder.co.uk thinking of getting a driver from here aswell it all depends on if you are going to play often or not

user451727
Reply : Mon 18th Jun 2012 17:07

Hi Karl There is another post active at the moment titled "Golf Clubs" with a bit of info on there. So have a look at that for the advice given on there. I have not been playing all that long and started with a really cheap set and now own a set of Mizuno Irons, a Taylormade driver, a Benross 3 wood, Maxfli 20 degree rescue (3iron) and a Mizuno 23 degree rescue (4iron) The Mizuno irons I bought new last year from an online retailer it was the last set they had so got them for a bargain �150. I had tried a similar set that a friend had and loved the weight of the club head in each iron. I still "chunk some of my shots with them but don't play as much as I would like. My driver, 3 wood and Mizuno rescue I bought off ebay for approx total spend of �85. The Maxfli rescue was a gift off a fellow golfer who could not use it. (it's the easiest club in the bag for me to hit, I love it) I would recommend you try out loads of different clubs, visit pro shops and high street golf retailers, but don't feel pressured into spending your cash on something you are not happy with. Ask fellow golfers and don't feel you have to have a big name brand or the latest model which will cost you a fortune now, but get for less than half that price when it is replaced. Benross and MD golf make cracking clubs in my opinion for a beginner and even some more established players stick with them. I hope this helps.

user468941
Reply : Mon 18th Jun 2012 18:16

Guys thanks for your advice ive just been on ebay and managed to get myself a taylormade burner tour driver so for �46 anyone got any thoughts on this? also ive heard a few times that mizuno irons may be a good choice for me what type do you have colin? once again thanks for all the advice guys!

user16106
Reply : Mon 18th Jun 2012 19:25

Karl, This question is asked alot. My advice would be spend up to �150 on a decent brand that you can sell on if they are not suited. Callaway, taylormade, titliest etc. If you buy a less in demand brand and they dont suit you, you will lose 1/2 their value once youve hit them. My specific choice would be look for a set of callaway big bertha irons, X-12 or X-14 and you cant go far wrong. Should get a decent set for around �120 on Ebay. If you dont get on with them ( which I doubt ) you can sell em on. Best of luck. Dave CAC handed Geordie.

user468941
Reply : Mon 18th Jun 2012 19:42

Thanks for the reply dave ive seen some mizuno mx100 irons for around �120 is this good value? any help would be great!

user16106
Reply : Mon 18th Jun 2012 19:58

Anything you fancy Karl is fine. Just check what sort of value they have gone for on Ebay. If you will not lose too much, go for it. IE dont spend �120 if they have previously sold for oly �60. Get it? Also have a look on www.golfgearreview.com this is very helpful. Dave CAC handed Geordie

user263996
Reply : Mon 18th Jun 2012 20:44

i sold a set of mizuno mx 100 on ebay they went for �69 try american golf i once bought a second hand set of them the guys said try a few rounds with them , if your not happy fetch them back for a credit to spend in shop , hope this helps , good luck

user468941
Reply : Mon 18th Jun 2012 20:47

Thanks rich what where your thoughts on the mx100's?

user468941
Reply : Mon 18th Jun 2012 20:52

Thanks rich what where your thoughts on the mx100's?

user451727
Reply : Tue 19th Jun 2012 07:42

Hi Karl, Sorry for not replying earlier......that's the beauty of working nightshifts. The Irons I have are Mizuno MX19's I find them great to use. Dave Patrick has given you some good points regarding clubs. Honestly, there are loads of good bargains to be had but I would recommend you try and hit some clubs before buying them.

user468941
Reply : Tue 19th Jun 2012 09:47

Hi again colin yeah theres some great advice on here for a newbie like myself i think i will go for either the mx100s or the mx19's how do you find the mx19s? what sort of price range would i be looking at? also whats everyones thoughts on the TM burner driver for a newbie like myself ?

user320021
Reply : Tue 19th Jun 2012 10:36

Karl,

I have 4 colleagues who have just started and they had different requirements, one bought a new complete set with bag, woods, irons and putter, and hopes they will be fine, one has borrowed some until he decides what is best and the others I suggested exactly the same as Dave, Callaway are really easy to hit and will be good enough for quite a while as you improve, one ought the X-12s and the other bought a different model, but both are easy to hit and my Dad still uses a set of X-12 he's had since new and he plays off 13. Alternatively if you hate them, or the game you can sell them without losing a load of money!

Good luck

Col

user468941
Reply : Tue 19th Jun 2012 13:28

Just to keep everyone updated ive managed to get some mizuno mx17's for �60 on ebay added with the �50 i spent on the TM burner driver whats everyones thoughts?

user52922
Reply : Tue 19th Jun 2012 15:31

Ideal clubs for a beginner, from a reputed club manufacturer - can't go wrong, Karl.

user451727
Reply : Tue 19th Jun 2012 16:01

I agree with Mr Pettitt here Karl. My friend bought a set of MX17's new in 2006 if my memory serves me right. He paid �499.00 and still has them now. He was a complete beginner and now is 8 handicap. If you want to change them in 18 months time you will get your �60 back no problem. Money well spent, now go out and enjoy them.

user468941
Reply : Tue 19th Jun 2012 16:53

Guys thanks for all the advice its really helpfull especially for a novice like me! just need to get myself a decent putter then thats me on my way amyone any suggestions? also does anyone know a place which sells cheap golf bags of a decent quality

user468941
Reply : Tue 19th Jun 2012 17:04

Guys thanks for all the advice its really helpfull especially for a novice like me! just need to get myself a decent putter then thats me on my way amyone any suggestions? also does anyone know a place which sells cheap golf bags of a decent quality

user33026 [FORUM MODERATOR]
Reply : Tue 19th Jun 2012 23:11

Karl,

I do hate to be the bearer of bad news but the Tour version of the TM Burner driver is actually aimed at the better player. I wouldn't use the driver much yet. Just use the irons as the driver will frustrate you and put you into trouble in the early days.

As regards the irons, they will be great and it won't be long before you've got the hang of them.

For putters, you don't need an expensive one, you just need one that you like. I know some very good players who play with very cheap putters, and some very poor players who play with very expensive putters

For bags, ebay. At this point you only need something that will carry your clubs and some balls

I know this sounds a bit vauge but I do think you are going about it the right way. Buy decent second hand equipment that will lose little value and if you don't like it you can swap it

user459944
Reply : Wed 20th Jun 2012 12:19

Karl, i would have to agree with Chris on this one, the Taylormades tend to be suited for a middle to low range handicap, ofr a reasonable started driver with some good early results i would go for the Dunlop 13.5, from sports direct for about �12-14 at the moment, on the putter front its a bit of a suck eggs and see front, i tried 6 different putters til i found one that wes relativley comfortable and believe it or not it turned out to be a Donnay putter that suited me best couldnt get on with dunlop or wilson cost about �6. another thing with the drivers try going to a relaitively large driving range something like the american golf ones as they have a vast variety of drivers you can use there to test out, hope this helps somewhat, Tim

user468941
Reply : Wed 20th Jun 2012 22:56

hi guys thanks so much for the advice managed to cancel the tm burner tour driver but judging by the feedback i think ill stick with the irons.... im off to get a cheap putter tomorrow and managed to pick up a mizuno aerolite bag for �20 suppose that will do! ayone got any advice on decent high handicapp drivers for me which i can get on ebay for?? once again thanks for taking the time to help out guys!

user451727
Reply : Thu 21st Jun 2012 07:49

Hi Karl. I started with a Howson driver which was given to me for nothing. A lot won't believe me, but I could hit it as far as my playing partner did with his Callaway Diablo and his previous Wilson driver. I now own a Taylormade driver but it's a few years old, a R540xd. Another friend of mine has a Benross VeloCT driver which I believe is aimed at being a forgiving club. The later Quad model is along the same lines. I own a VeloCt 3 wood and it's a decent club again aimed at us higher handicap players. In my opinion Benross make really good clubs using good components for a fair price. Have a look at them and see what you think. Colin.

user16106
Reply : Tue 14th Aug 2012 16:45

Dale, do you work for Golfbudee or have you had good purchasing experience from them ? Dave CAC handed Geordie.

user33026 [FORUM MODERATOR]
Reply : Tue 14th Aug 2012 21:01

Dale

I have removed references to your website. There are rules about promoting external websites within the forum. Please contact the site owners at [email protected] for permission to refer to your website

The Forums have now moved to a new version

We have now moved the forum to a new and improved system which provides more functionality plus provides easier access from desktop, tablets and smart phone devices.

Click here to view the new forum & register for free.

Scroll to top