Gear | Tour | Industry Insider

Tuition:

Video Library | Tuition Sections

Community:

Join | Log In | Help | Useful Links

New Forum System - click here to visit our new & improved forum system >>>

Ladies / Mens Golf Clubs

Posted by: user459944 | Sat 16th Jun 2012 12:27 | Last Reply

excuse my ignorance and this thread may have been brought up before, but is there much of a difference between Ladies golf clubs to that of a Man's, (other than the obvious pink handles sometimes!!) ?? any non abusive answers greatly received.

re: Ladies / Mens Golf Clubs
user33026 [FORUM MODERATOR]
Reply : Sat 16th Jun 2012 13:31

Generally speaking the key difference is in the shafts. Ladies typically are shorter and have a slower swing speed so the shafts are shorter and have a softer flex. It is also why early teenage boys often play with ladies clubs as the shaft length and flex suits them

user459944
Reply : Sat 16th Jun 2012 14:12

dave wouldnt have expect anything better from you lol, Chris, would you think these clubs would be suitable for a beginner say 15-18 yr old ??

user52922
Reply : Sat 16th Jun 2012 14:22

Tim, I have a set of ladies X14's and they play very well indeed. The softer shaft suits my much slower swing, but, having said that, I also play with my mens X14's and Titleist 755's and there is nothing between any of them. I still play rubbish.

Reply : Sat 16th Jun 2012 14:29

Tim - If I'm honest I would say they would be great for the first 6-12 months while they were first beginning, but they will grow out of them quickly both in height and swing speed

John - My wife has a set of Wilson X14's. Loves them to bits. Only wish I could get her to use them more often

user52922
Reply : Sat 16th Jun 2012 15:38

Mine are Callaway X14's, Chris.

As regards getting her to play I can offer no help, you just have top keep on encouraging her, because in later life you will both appreciate it.

Reply : Sat 16th Jun 2012 17:09

John, my face is so blue from encouraging her I look like a smurf.

A club local to us (Thornbury) is doing 4 one hour group lessons, plus a basket of range balls every day and unlimited use of their 18 hole par 3 course for a month for �45. I think it's a brilliant idea for beginners as they can learn and practice together. It would be ideal for her

user459944
Reply : Sun 17th Jun 2012 01:19

John / Chris, many thanks for the info.

user356537
Reply : Sun 17th Jun 2012 12:46

Tim, I'm the junior organiser at my club and heavily involved with junior golf at county level as well. For a 15 - 18 year old I would not recommend ladies clubs. The shafts will be too whippy and the club heads too light. Eveen though they are just learning they will, no doubt, very quickly being trying to thrash the a$$ off the ball and ladies clubs will be a disaster.

Richard

user52922
Reply : Sun 17th Jun 2012 16:17

Cannot agree with that statement, Richard, sorry. I am quite sure you will find that the actual heads are made slightly heavier and larger for women because of the shorter shaft they have fitted. Swing weight (Which has become a lost art and now an afterthought) comes out at about C5 - 9.

Of course if they are big lads then they are more than capable of playing with standard clubs, but using softer shafts will teach them how to control a golf ball, firmer shafts will produce greater accuracy but it is a false accuracy.

Good young players do not thrash the cover off the ball at all, that is a misnomer.

The Forums have now moved to a new version

We have now moved the forum to a new and improved system which provides more functionality plus provides easier access from desktop, tablets and smart phone devices.

Click here to view the new forum & register for free.

Scroll to top