Tuition:

Video Library | Tuition Sections

Community:

Join | Log In | Help | Useful Links

New Forum System - click here to visit our new & improved forum system >>>

GOLF CLUBS

Posted by: user431951 | Thu 14th Jun 2012 10:52 | Last Reply

Hi,

New beginner to Golf and recently starting playing over the last 6 months.

Need some advise as to a good set of clubs/package that i can upgrade to. Anyone able to help?

re: GOLF CLUBS
user451727
Reply : Thu 14th Jun 2012 11:19

Hi Alan, I am like yourself new to the game. The best advice I can give you is to go and try some clubs. I live by the principle though " you cannot buy a good round of golf" What I mean by that is you don't have to pay a fortune to enjoy your game, and the guy in a golf shop wants to sell you all that lovely nice new gear, won't always have your best interests at heart. A fellow playing partner of mine who has been playing longer than me paid over �250 for a Ping driver. I outdrive him and, land on the fairway on nearly every hole with a driver that cost �30. Try loads of clubs and don't worry about it being the latest model. Hope this helps.

user390191
Reply : Thu 14th Jun 2012 13:58

i agree with colin worth a look on ebay you may have people close to you who have lost the heart to play or even upgrading the clubs and that way you can maybe have a look before you buy, i have bought my last 2 sets of ebay and i would not buy any from the main golf shops but thats just me

user39020
Reply : Thu 14th Jun 2012 14:20

Dont go to Sports Direct and buy a set of cheap Dunlop clubs.

As suggested, a better option would be to go second hand off ebay. Many golfers get new clubs every year or two and sell their old stuff, and you can pick up come quality second hand equipment on there for a reasonable price. I got a set of second hand Wilson Irons plus a ping putter six years ago for around � 50, and they are still going strong now.

If you then decide that golf is not for you afterall, you can resell them at more-or-less the same price. Alternatively, if the bug bites, in a few years it might be worth getting measured up for a set and spending a bit more money.

user247577
Reply : Thu 14th Jun 2012 21:38

Have a word with a local pro, tell him how much you can afford to spend. They generally know who is offloading clubs, or can find you something that will suit you. even talk to club members who are often a source of info on others members selling gear. I bought a wedge which did not suit a member, suited me fine. cost me a fiver, him a lot more.

user459944
Reply : Thu 14th Jun 2012 21:55

Hi Alan, like yourself recently started, started with my old mans clubs Wilson 1200's but not very forgiving then switched to a larger cheap set Donnay's which although people may knock they arent to bad for what you pay for them, some sets on ebay for �20-30, i have spent hours in golf shops looking @ shiney red & blue ones and some nice black & yellow ones, some golf shops are kind enough to even let you have a trial of the odd one, always worth getting a bit of advice from the shop / course pro who on most of the places i have been arent to pushy with buying the top of the range gear, but its one of those suck eggs and see senarios, if you have any friends with high handicaps that arent too protective of their clubs its worth trying a few out til you find something you are comfortable with and can hit a ball with without too many errors, at the end of the day its not always down to the clubs its more the techniques you use with them, hope this helps, Tim

Al just noticed your from Kent, if your close to Gravesend and you want a bit of a try out your more than welcome to have a borrow.

Last edit : Thu 14th Jun 2012 21:57
user469358
Reply : Tue 19th Jun 2012 22:53

Hi Alan. for a set of irons in my opinion you can't go wrong with a set of Ping eye 2's. I prefer the later eye 2+ model and play them myself. They were and may still be the top selling iron set of all time. Should be able to get a good set on ebay for around �100 but first go to the Ping website and go on the club fitting section and find out the correct specs that fit you because Ping irons all have different lie angle settings according to how tall you are and that sort of thing, with the different lie angle settings denoted by a coloured dot on the clubhead. If you are of average height you will probably want the black dot standard set. The eye 2's may not be the latest thing but are very easy to hit with a fairly large clubhead and a very forgiving perimiter weighted cavity back style and when they were new they set the bar for this type of club and have been much copied over the years. They are not shiny and flashy and look like they are built to survive a nuclear attack. There is nothing I enjoy more than putting my old set of Pings against someone with a flashy new expensive set of Callaways and proving that golf is not about how much you spend on your clubs! Google them and you will find much info and reviews etc.

Last edit : Tue 19th Jun 2012 23:27

The Forums have now moved to a new version

We have now moved the forum to a new and improved system which provides more functionality plus provides easier access from desktop, tablets and smart phone devices.

Click here to view the new forum & register for free.

Scroll to top