Gear | Tour | Industry Insider

Tuition:

Video Library | Tuition Sections

Community:

Join | Log In | Help | Useful Links

New Forum System - click here to visit our new & improved forum system >>>

Jack Nicklaus ball position

Posted by: user451727 | Wed 13th Jun 2012 23:48 | Last Reply

I struggle at times with my iron play, especially my long irons. I have been searching on various internet sites, i.e. Youtube for instructional videos to see if I can gleam any info.

I was shocked to see the great man Jack Nicklaus plays every club with the ball in position with his left heel, only slightly closing or opening his stance. He gives good reasoning in one of his videos as to why he does it. If it's good enough for him...I am going to give it a try.

Does anyone also on here do something similar?

re: Jack Nicklaus ball position
user202037 [FORUM MODERATOR]
Reply : Wed 13th Jun 2012 23:56

Do it all the time. Your swing should bottom level with your heel, hence the address there.

user451727
Reply : Thu 14th Jun 2012 11:08

Hi David, I had a lesson a while back and the pro said as the clubs get shorter the ball should move to the middle of your stance. Maybe that's why your handicap is 2 and mine is nearer 28. I struggle big style with the 5 and 6 iron "chunking" shots. This looks like it could be the answer.

user202037 [FORUM MODERATOR]
Reply : Thu 14th Jun 2012 11:38

Colin,

If you address the ball inside your heel with each club and only move your right foot as the clubs get shorter it gives the illusion that you are actually moving the club more into the centre of the stance.

user410273
Reply : Fri 15th Jun 2012 21:05

Peter Alliss also said the same thing. As you transfer your weight forward the bottom of your swing is pretty much in the same place for every shot.

user52922
Reply : Fri 15th Jun 2012 23:04

We never used to do that in my days, ball position only determined required trajectory.

user16106
Reply : Mon 9th Jul 2012 19:19

Colin let me just say thanks for that bit of advice. I have adopted it to a degree over the last 3 or 4 rounds and my clean hitting with my 5 and 6 has improved about 50%. Still not too good with my 4 iron but its getting there. Also still have to play 9-sand nearer center of stance. Cheers mate. Toon supporter? Dave CAC handed Geordie.

The Forums have now moved to a new version

We have now moved the forum to a new and improved system which provides more functionality plus provides easier access from desktop, tablets and smart phone devices.

Click here to view the new forum & register for free.

Scroll to top