Gear | Tour | Industry Insider

Tuition:

Video Library | Tuition Sections

Community:

Join | Log In | Help | Useful Links

New Forum System - click here to visit our new & improved forum system >>>

Weather

Posted by: user451055 | Thu 7th Jun 2012 15:17 | Last Reply

How bad does the weather have to be before you decide to call off playing golf?

I am sitting here, 5 minutes drive from the course so i know the weather here is the same as there.

It has been hammering down with rain all day and my teetime is 4.52 this evening. The forecast is for the rain to get worse with a chance of a thunder storm.

I'm supposed to be playing in a club 4somes comp. Not a club major but still a proper comp - not just a fun round.

The day players (ladies wot don't work) went out earlier today and I know they all packed it in after a few holes and walked in as it was so horrible.

I am normally as keen as mustard and will play in any weather but I think this has defeated me.

re: Weather
user298481
Reply : Thu 7th Jun 2012 15:34

it's flooded roads and downed trees in my neck of the woods and my plan for a few holes tonight has been shelved ;(

user202037 [FORUM MODERATOR]
Reply : Fri 8th Jun 2012 00:29

Judy,

I go with, "if I start a round, I will try to finish it but if it is too bad I may not start".

I lived for many years in Gledhow, worked at Roundhay and found it strange that it could be dry where I was but the cricket at Headingley was off for rain.

I think the layout of the course is a major factor in playing in bad weather. If it is compact and the Clubhouse is not too far away at all times then starting is no real problem, but if it is a long way for some holes then that is a different matter. How many times have we seen the sun out on St Andrews 18th but it raining on the 11th.

user451055
Reply : Fri 8th Jun 2012 08:46

After feeling guilty about not playing it turned out to be the correct decision. It hasn't stopped raining here since Weds evening and the course is currently closed as some fairways and greens are holding water.

David - my playing partners said pretty much the same as you - they don't mind finishing a round if the weather turns during it but when it is rodding it down before you start then they would call it off.

Hopefully it will calm down a bit before Sunday - is anyone else playing in the Crosby Beacon at West Lancs on Sunday? Anyone ever been? My better half is playing in it and I am caddying. Heard it is a cracking links course. He is very much looking forward to playing it for the first time.

user20126 [FORUM MODERATOR]
Reply : Fri 8th Jun 2012 13:22

If it's raining heavy before I start then I don't start! I'll sit in the clubhouse and have a coffee because it doesn't normally rain heavy for long.

Once I've started a round I'll play as long as I can, but if the umbrella comes out then I'm thinking about getting back to the clubhouse.

Once the waterproofs come on it's a case of putting them on to keep dry while you walk back to the clubhouse!

Golf is a good weather game and I get no enjoyment from walking around in the rain getting wet.

My two playing partners will go out in any weather and stay out, but that's upto them isn't it?

Russ

The Forums have now moved to a new version

We have now moved the forum to a new and improved system which provides more functionality plus provides easier access from desktop, tablets and smart phone devices.

Click here to view the new forum & register for free.

Scroll to top