Gear | Tour | Industry Insider

Tuition:

Video Library | Tuition Sections

Community:

Join | Log In | Help | Useful Links

New Forum System - click here to visit our new & improved forum system >>>

European Tour events in the UK

Posted by: user8 [FORUM MODERATOR] | Mon 28th May 2012 22:14 | Last Reply

What does the future hold for Tour events in the UK ? obviously the English Open never got going again, the BBC is losing it's full coverage of the BMW PGA Champs and this week some of the past winners of the Wales Open aren't even playing.

I guess Scotland is holding it's own with the Scottish Open, Dunhill links plus the Open and Ryder cup rotas due to visit over the next 2/3 years.

Anyone interested here is the preview of this week's ISPS Handa Wales Open by resident tipster Jenks:

http://www.golfshake.com/news/view/4114/ISPS_Handa_Wales_Open_Preview_Picks.html

Last edit : Mon 28th May 2012 22:15
re: European Tour events in the UK
user390191
Reply : Tue 29th May 2012 11:40

i think most must be down to the weather we have you just have to look at the open last year, and maybe they can get the public in more in warm places, also i did notice that the bmw was only �25 for the day but with the open its �60 a day

user202037 [FORUM MODERATOR]
Reply : Tue 29th May 2012 13:51

Karl,

That may have something to do with seeing 'the best in Europe' against 'the best in the world'?

user390191
Reply : Tue 29th May 2012 17:28

yes i know you get the worlds best players at the open thats why they charge so much but if the european open plays more here and the big names dont play would you get the same crowds

user250721
Reply : Tue 29th May 2012 17:38

Don't forget the challenge tour, offering some top class golf, comes to Stoke By Naylands this year, as it did last. It's no Wentworth but it's still live golf if you need a fix.

user202037 [FORUM MODERATOR]
Reply : Wed 30th May 2012 13:00

It's all down to money. To get a sponsor today you are talking millions. When we had Tour Stops at Fulford, Moortown, Moor Allerton, Lindrick, Wilmslow, Kings Norton, Queens Park, Woburn, Moor Park, and others it was local money that was put into the events.

I know of several people who put money into local Golf and were pushed into bigger things and have now walked away, even from the local events. Even County PGA's demand a minimum prize fund or they stop their members from playing.

The Forums have now moved to a new version

We have now moved the forum to a new and improved system which provides more functionality plus provides easier access from desktop, tablets and smart phone devices.

Click here to view the new forum & register for free.

Scroll to top