Gear | Tour | Industry Insider

Tuition:

Video Library | Tuition Sections

Community:

Join | Log In | Help | Useful Links

New Forum System - click here to visit our new & improved forum system >>>

Miserable Bugg#rs - Rant!!!

Posted by: user38216 | Sun 20th May 2012 18:57 | Last Reply

The tee at my home club, what is supposed to be a "quality" private club established in 1895, opened today for casual golf at 3.30pm. I got to the tee about 3.45 to find 3 mature gentlemen (loose term) waiting to tee off. The hole was clear by a long way, i.e. totally free of other players, but they took good time to hit monster 150 yard drives into the trees before moving on without even a hello! 9 painful holes later, I am still behind them (not a chance of being let through) and I give it up for a bad job thinking I'll do the front nine again. Got to the first to find a stand bag but no player. I consideratly wait for the group on 18 to putt out when a single player arrives at the tee, knobs an iron 100 yards down the fairway (a 450 yard par 4) and walks past me to get on with his game. I put my kit in the car absolutely disgusted that members of a private course can behave this way. Britain really is broken! If I had not paid a joining fee I would be off in September when renewals are due!

Last edit : Sun 20th May 2012 18:58
re: Miserable Bugg#rs - Rant!!!
user26342
Reply : Sun 20th May 2012 19:33

Oh dear, not like you to be so reserved. Might be worth a little chat to someone at the club to see what their stance on this is?

user246626
Reply : Sun 20th May 2012 19:50

You find that alot these days some golfers luckily the minority, just dont have a monkeys of an idea on etiquette. I was in a two ball yesterday and we were stuck behind a 4 ball all the way around. I understand that its not always possible to get past but there was no one infront of the 4 for aleast 2 holes. We even got to the tee and they were still teeing off but nothing.So therefore we had a 10min wait on each tee. At the end of the day what can we do about it...nothing really

user38216
Reply : Sun 20th May 2012 20:27

True, sick of being the silent majority but this seems to be the way in society as a whole.

user202037 [FORUM MODERATOR]
Reply : Sun 20th May 2012 21:03

David,

You said "Got to the first to find a stand bag but no player. I consideratly wait for the group on 18 to putt out when a single player arrives at the tee, knobs an iron 100 yards down the fairway (a 450 yard par 4) and walks past me to get on with his game."

Why not ask if you could join them?

Last edit : Sun 20th May 2012 21:04
user20126 [FORUM MODERATOR]
Reply : Sun 20th May 2012 21:56

You arrived at the first tee to find a stand bag but no player.

Seems to my you have priority there seeing as you are there and the other person isn't!

Also, if you are being held up by a group in front and they are a full hole behind the group in front of them, they must let you play through.

Simply ask them if you can play through, this normally does the trick.

If they don't let you then phone the pro shop and let them know what is happening.

If you are a member of the club and the other players are as well put in a letter of complaint to the committee.

There are so many things we people should do but don't in these situations.

Russ

user390191
Reply : Sun 20th May 2012 22:45

i had that today ok not my home club as i dont have one yet, booked tee time 9.15 am and there is a knock out in front of me 4 bqll now i did not mind as its there club but after 6 holes when i am on the green they are not teeing off and then say sorry we are in a comp 4 hours to do 18 on your own is a bit much, lucky for me they knocked someone out at the 12th so i could motor on

user356537
Reply : Mon 21st May 2012 15:05

Hi David

Where do you play your golf? I'm also in the West Midlands and play at Kenilworth.

Until recently, we had a rule at Kenilworth that single golfers have no standing on the course and it was a common expeeience to get stuck behind a 3 or 4 ball (usaully of elderly members) without hope of being called through. Fortunately, that rule was changed recently and now we have big notices remined people to let faster groups, including singles, play through.

Also, we have a rather convulted but effective starting system which keeps 3/4 balls and 1/2 balls separated but requiring them to starr from the 1st or 10th at certain time.

Perhaps we could hook up for a game sometime?

Richard

user38216
Reply : Mon 21st May 2012 16:20

Richard, I play at Sandwell Park, you would be more than welcome to come for a game. Lyth, this guy was unbelievable..I'm not a shrinking violet and I will always offer any person, pair behid me to join up in the interest of a better playing experience. However, this guy did not make eye contact and you could just tell he had a really bad attitude, best left alone I thought! Chris/Russ - I play for the club in team events and the club captain lives 10 houses up from me, I will be letting my feelings known believe me, not my style to just moan about it but had to vent!

Last edit : Mon 21st May 2012 16:20
user97088
Reply : Mon 21st May 2012 22:06

single bag on the tee and no golfer, sound like the germans have arrived on the course, probably saving his place while he go's for a beer, hhmm they used to leave towels you know......

The Forums have now moved to a new version

We have now moved the forum to a new and improved system which provides more functionality plus provides easier access from desktop, tablets and smart phone devices.

Click here to view the new forum & register for free.

Scroll to top