Tee Times | Search | Reviews

News:

Gear | Tour | Industry Insider

Tuition:

Video Library | Tuition Sections

Community:

Join | Log In | Help | Useful Links

New Forum System - click here to visit our new & improved forum system >>>

How far do you actually walk round a course?

Posted by: user41897 | Sat 19th May 2012 07:56 | Last Reply

Just got a new toy for running / cycling in a Garmin gps watch so thought I'd track my route around a course for a bit of fun.

I played a new course on Thursday afternoon - Lexdon Wood nr Colchester - so tracked my route round there. The course isnt that long at 5895 yds off the whites but there was a fair amount of walking between holes sand different parts of the course.

So based on 5895 yards being 3.34 miles I expected to walk a total of about 4 miles. I was shocked when my watch told me I'd walked 7 miles. Now before you start typing comments about zig-zag golf - of which there was some - I did chart a reasonably direct route around the course as the gps track shows.

I can only assume the distance is correct. It just surprised me how far I walked compared to the course yardage.

http://connect.garmin.com/player/179214515

Last edit : Sat 19th May 2012 07:57
re: How far do you actually walk round a course?
user24437
Reply : Sat 19th May 2012 11:20

Not at all surprised Andy. I once tracked my distance at one of our local courses (Trent Lock, Par 68 at 5,848yds) and managed to walk just under 11km, so that's about the same as you did. As a course it's quite similar to Lexden Wood, fairly open parkland but without the hills*. I may try it on a big course one day.

• Played with my brothers, one from the States and the other from Norfolk and they both continually whinged about the hills. As I play in Derbyshire, Notts and Yorkshire I thought it was flat...
user397946
Reply : Sat 19th May 2012 13:11

Had a similiar experience the other week Andy. Expected 4-5 miles from a 6300 yard par 72, checked my pedometer afterwards and it was 7.86!!!

user77012
Reply : Sat 19th May 2012 13:20

Reading this I really feel for Matt Simmons as he must walk at least 11 miles a round! #legend

user235379
Reply : Sat 19th May 2012 14:26

not forgetting the distance from last green to next tee

user33026 [FORUM MODERATOR]
Reply : Sat 19th May 2012 15:15

I probably do 2 miles round and round in circles in the rough looking for my ball

user459944
Reply : Tue 22nd May 2012 00:21

OMG, i must clock up 12 miles with one of my rounds then !!!!!

user338942
Reply : Tue 22nd May 2012 11:18

On that basis, I'll be looking at 25-28 miles when I complete in the 4 Course Classic in a few weeks.... :-/ wowser

www.justgiving.com/foreshank

The Forums have now moved to a new version

We have now moved the forum to a new and improved system which provides more functionality plus provides easier access from desktop, tablets and smart phone devices.

Click here to view the new forum & register for free.

Scroll to top