Gear | Tour | Industry Insider

Tuition:

Video Library | Tuition Sections

Community:

Join | Log In | Help | Useful Links

New Forum System - click here to visit our new & improved forum system >>>

playing it low

Posted by: user437159 | Tue 15th May 2012 20:50 | Last Reply

been windy recently and been trying to keep most my shots low as my club is rather high up. been strugging hitting it thin. any ideas?

re: playing it low
user417527
Reply : Tue 15th May 2012 21:32

Use your putter more often?

Sorry, that probably wasn't very helpful. I believe that the general opinion is that you move the ball back in your stance slightly, close the face a touch, have a smooth, controlled swing, and finish with your hands nice and low to punch the ball low.

If you are one of those people who can read a set of instructions and go out and replicate it, then I wish you every success. I remember the pro telling me how to hit the ball low, but my hands are arms just don't listen!

Last edit : Tue 15th May 2012 21:58
user99350
Reply : Wed 16th May 2012 13:30

Liam, as a naturally high hitter I  would love to hit it low and envy the ball flight of some players however I'm stuck with what I've got. There is a saying 'into the breeze swing with ease'  which is good advice as the harder you hit it, the more upward it will go. You can try hitting a couple of clubs more, gripping down th shaft with a 3/4 swing. This is v effective for me.

user338942
Reply : Wed 16th May 2012 13:52

i'll second Patrick's advice.  I can hit fairly effective punch shots with 4 & 5 irons, but as soon as I get a rush of blood and/or try and get that extra 10-15 yards out of it, it normally ends up being a raising slice going about 120 forward, 50 right

user410273
Reply : Wed 16th May 2012 17:34

Back in the stance an inch. Square the clubface (moving it back a bit opens the face). Don't lash it or it will go high and right, if you're right handed.

I usually take a couple of extra clubs and just try and hit it gently. This doesn't impart as much spin, either back spin or side spin, and won't balloon up or slice/hook as much.

user52922
Reply : Wed 16th May 2012 17:52

I have always hit the ball low.

The Forums have now moved to a new version

We have now moved the forum to a new and improved system which provides more functionality plus provides easier access from desktop, tablets and smart phone devices.

Click here to view the new forum & register for free.

Scroll to top