Tuition:

Video Library | Tuition Sections

Community:

Join | Log In | Help | Useful Links

New Forum System - click here to visit our new & improved forum system >>>

free to air golf (other sports)

Posted by: user390191 | Thu 3rd May 2012 13:07 | Last Reply

just noticed this on here

i think it would be a good idea for say the bbc or itv or even channel 5  to have a sports channel (maybe join together) so they can show the worlds best sports live on normal tv so you dont have to pay for the golf, i know some of the majors in golf are on the bbc but would it be good if you could watch them all pga tour of the usa and the european tour of the world

any thoughts on ways they could do it

re: free to air golf (other sports)
user451055
Reply : Thu 3rd May 2012 13:52

Find a big pot of money and give it to the PGA and European tours. I'm pretty sure that would do the trick!

user40826
Reply : Thu 3rd May 2012 15:44

Yeah, unfortunatley, big, huge, massive pot of money.  Anybody chipping in

If the BBC can't get the rights for the whole of the Masters......

user356537
Reply : Thu 3rd May 2012 21:21

It's sad, but money definitely talks.  Not sure there is anything that could be done to reverse this process.  The best we can hope for is for the odd event to be ring fenced.  That said, even the coverage of last year's Open was heavily criticised and the BBC are on warning from the R&A that they risk losing that!

I hate to say it, but I think I'll be paying my Sky subs for the forseeable future.

Richard

user390191
Reply : Mon 7th May 2012 20:08

thats is true but if the bbc or itv had a sports channel just think of the adverts that they can make money from sure ping ect would use it 

user43166
Reply : Fri 11th May 2012 12:46

Any other Sky viewers get frustrated when you tune-in (what an old fashioned phrase, showing my age!!) and have to wait through endless drivel from Monty until "the golf channel comes online"? Having said that some of the later studio stuff is quite good - got to fill the ad breaks with something.

And another thing...

The gofl channel coverage can be so US-biased. How often do we have to watch endless middle-order americans whilst a european is making a charge only to see them sink their final 2-foot putt for a 65!!

(Crikey, I'm grumpy today!!)

user451055
Reply : Fri 11th May 2012 13:12

I'm guessing it is cos Sky are too tight to pay extra to get the raw footage and edit/direct it themselves. They pay less and just transmit the golf channel coverage which inevitably is focussed on Americans as it is for an American audience.

Mind you - they are a business and if they did spend more for better coverage our subscriptions would probably go up too!

Last edit : Fri 11th May 2012 13:13
user43166
Reply : Fri 11th May 2012 13:39

Totally agree Judy. It is a cheap(er) way of getting live golf on the TV. Shouldn't complain too much, most of the coverage is good... and yes, keeps our subscriptions down!!

user16106
Reply : Fri 11th May 2012 19:22

I ussually tape ( sky plus ) the golf then watch it from about 10 o clock. Whizz through the ads and can catch up with live at the end.  I do however think the coverage is very good. If the missus is watching something else, I will log on the Pga.com and watch the shot tracker. Its better than nothing.

Dave CAC handed Geordie.

user43166
Reply : Fri 11th May 2012 19:55

ha yes, my tactic is to record it, wait until the Mrs falls asleep on the sofa (usually between 9 or 10) and, like you say Dave, whizz through the dull bits and watch what you want. Amazing how quickly you can watch a round of golf with Sky+

The Forums have now moved to a new version

We have now moved the forum to a new and improved system which provides more functionality plus provides easier access from desktop, tablets and smart phone devices.

Click here to view the new forum & register for free.

Scroll to top