Gear | Tour | Industry Insider

Tuition:

Video Library | Tuition Sections

Community:

Join | Log In | Help | Useful Links

New Forum System - click here to visit our new & improved forum system >>>

1st begginer golf set ?

Posted by: user463790 | Wed 2nd May 2012 11:49 | Last Reply

hi ive had a few lessons and getting ready to get my 1st set and ive picked 2 wilsons set out and would like to know which one is the best

http://www.discountgolfstore.co.uk/3791/Wilson-Staff-x31-Complete-Golf-Set.html?referrer=froogle&utm_source=google&a
mp;utm_medium=froogle&utm_campaign=pid3791&gclid=CM-y8KKv4a8CFQQMtAodLisJCQ

http://www.thesportshq.com/wilson-golf-ultra-complete-clubs-set--bag.aspx?lang=en&sku=G8WIULTRA2

thanks for any help

re: 1st begginer golf set ?
user16106
Reply : Wed 2nd May 2012 12:10

Ryan

I can see the attraction of a brand new shiny set of golf clubs but my advise to you is buy a second hand set of good brand clubs. Something like callaway x-12 x-14. Titliest or taylormade. You should be able to get a very good 2nd hand set for low £100-120. Try them for 6 rounds if you like them then great. If you dont then re-sell them and try something else. They will always hold their value so you wont be losing much. I like wilson but if you dont get along with them their value will drop by 50%.

Good luck in your purchase.

Dave CAC handed Geordie.

user459944
Reply : Wed 2nd May 2012 12:11

Hi Ryan, i'm a bit like yourself and just recently started out, have to admit i was given a set of the wilsons via parent, and found them a bit difficult to play with, not very forgiving and a small sweet spot, i was told that i would be better off starting on a more cheaper set just to get used to before stepping up & wasting money on something that may take me ages to master (if at all!), bought 2 cheap sets from Ebay, set of Donnay & Dunlops, will set you back about £20-30 for a reasonable set of donnays or £40-60 for the dunlops, whilst i know that a lot of this game seems to be about THE LOOK & feel of the clubs rather than mashing up a £160-200 set of clubs whilst starting out, go for the cheapys as a try & run you can always upgrade at a later stage, just my pennies worth, Tim

user99350
Reply : Wed 2nd May 2012 14:13

Hi Ryan, if you're committed to playing then you'll need all the encouragement you can get. Unless you're a natural then ball striking takes time so a large sweet spot will help you along the way and keep you from being dismayed. It is important that you try the clubs, don't go on what other people suggest. That'll mean nothing to you as a beginner. I saw these in the Argos catalogue.... worth a research and not only beginners clubs. Some players frown at Dunlops but I have a 3 and 5 wood, just as good as any Callaway, Titleist etc. in my opinion.

http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/9019573.htm#pdpFullProductInformation

Good luck.

user390191
Reply : Wed 2nd May 2012 14:36

you could always look on ebay see if anyone close to you is selling any

user249902
Reply : Wed 2nd May 2012 17:19

brand new set of John Letters on the bay £150, could be worth a punt. Looking at the pictures they look like GI clubs, ideal for a beginner with a large cavity. retails at closer to £300 on  direct golf

user16106
Reply : Wed 2nd May 2012 17:23

Ryan ive just looked and there are loads of Callaway x-12 & X-14 iron sets on ebay. Go for auction rather than buy it now, but its a bit of a waiting game. Stick to yr budget and dont bid on more than 1 set at a time.

Dave CAC handed Geordie.

The Forums have now moved to a new version

We have now moved the forum to a new and improved system which provides more functionality plus provides easier access from desktop, tablets and smart phone devices.

Click here to view the new forum & register for free.

Scroll to top