Gear | Tour | Industry Insider

Tuition:

Video Library | Tuition Sections

Community:

Join | Log In | Help | Useful Links

New Forum System - click here to visit our new & improved forum system >>>

Getting Matchplay Games Played!

Posted by: user20126 [FORUM MODERATOR] | Sun 29th Apr 2012 20:03 | Last Reply

Once again this year I have put my name down to play the singles and doubles matchplay competitions at my golf club.

You are drawn against another member and then have to arrange the game between yourselves.  There is a 'play by' date on the notice board.

My playing partner and myself always try to get our doubles games played as soon as we know who we are playing against.

Seeing as we are in so many matches/competitions we know what a backlog there can be if all these games are left to the play by date.

Our problem is that every time we contact our opponents they don't want to play!

Then, when the play by date comes up it's normally a case of us having to play at a time we don't normally play at, say 8:30am on a Sunday morning!

The Essex Golf Union run a competition, the Allan Lockwood trophy and the home player contacts the away player giving him three dates, one must be at a weekend.  If you cannot agree then the home player goes through.

Does your golf club have this problem?  

How does your golf club deal with these matchplay games?

I'm on the competition committee and will be raising this matter at the next meeting.

Russ

re: Getting Matchplay Games Played!
user338942
Reply : Sun 29th Apr 2012 20:37

I've played in all sorts of matchplay comps in the last couple of years and found the best way to arrange something I've found is each give 2/3 possible days & times and see what matches up the closest

re: Getting Matchplay Games Played!
user289859
Reply : Mon 30th Apr 2012 15:21

Same here really....The "top player" (in the draw, so I guess home...) has to contact the "bottom player" (away) and both players give three dates. Normally, as I have done for the last 2 rounds, it's just a free and easy booking.  I am the "bottom" player in the next round, so just going to leave it to see if I am contacted.  If not, I wonder what will happen...

The Forums have now moved to a new version

We have now moved the forum to a new and improved system which provides more functionality plus provides easier access from desktop, tablets and smart phone devices.

Click here to view the new forum & register for free.

Scroll to top