Gear | Tour | Industry Insider

Tuition:

Video Library | Tuition Sections

Community:

Join | Log In | Help | Useful Links

New Forum System - click here to visit our new & improved forum system >>>

Competition Nerves

Posted by: user333074 | Thu 26th Apr 2012 22:32 | Last Reply

I'm playing my first tie in a club competition on Sunday, and already feeling a bit nervous.

Any ideas to calm me down....... apart from Valium ?

re: Competition Nerves
user80078
Reply : Fri 27th Apr 2012 13:58

The people you are playing with will be as nervous as you or moreso. Just think, you don't have to do it, but you want to, so go out and just enjoy yourself. Let it all go, have fun no matter what. ENJOY!!. 

user246626
Reply : Fri 27th Apr 2012 16:43

I always get nervous before i play in comps. Just make sure you stick to any routines you have like warming up, putting practise... I always find the 1st shot is the worst as you have people watching you off the tee, but after that you'll settle down. Just enjoy it like Michael said above. Mkae sure you let us know how you get on. Good luck

user38216
Reply : Fri 27th Apr 2012 20:23

Paul, whether you shoot 20 under or 20 over, the only person really bothered and who will really care is you so just enjoy it.

user16106
Reply : Fri 27th Apr 2012 21:26

Off the 1st tee use a club you are very comfortable with even if its a 7 or 8 iron. Get down the fairway get your bogie, come off with 2 points. Nerves gone.

Dave CAC handed Geordie.

user406037
Reply : Sat 28th Apr 2012 10:25

Hi Paul, im in the same situation as yourself. I have lessons at my local driving range and i have been asked by my coach to play in his team for an inter golf school competition. Its next Wednesday and at a course that i have never played before, i have no idea on the format of the day, probably be stapleford but not sure... Im really excited and honored that i have been asked to play but really nervous also!!!

user24437
Reply : Sat 28th Apr 2012 10:55

Just remember this, no one has ever died from embarrasement.  If you mess up your first shot, so what?  The second may be better.

user356537
Reply : Sat 28th Apr 2012 16:10

What part of the country do you live in Paul?  Forecast not looking great for tomorrow.

The great thing about matchplay is even if you get off to to a bad start the worst you can be is 1 down after the 1st!

If you get to play, enjoy!

Richard

user338942
Reply : Sun 29th Apr 2012 14:41

Playing a matchplay against someone of same/similar handicap is my favourite format.  Nothing better than shooting down the last with it all to play for after a good battle.

Use the nerves to your advantage. Take that extra second to weigh you shot/putt up and swing easy.  I tend to play my best golf like that.

user16106
Reply : Sun 29th Apr 2012 21:29

Well done paul thats a pretty good win.

Dave CAC handed Geordie.

user26342
Reply : Tue 1st May 2012 12:44

Paul,

Foursomes is a completely different kind of pressure as if you mess up your putting your partner under pressure. Just go out with the same kind of relaxed mindset hope you've got an understanding partner!

user26342
Reply : Tue 1st May 2012 12:44

Paul,

Foursomes is a completely different kind of pressure as if you mess up your putting your partner under pressure. Just go out with the same kind of relaxed mindset hope you've got an understanding partner!

user451055
Reply : Tue 1st May 2012 15:40

My husband and I have a great 'undertsanding' partnership in mixed foursomes. He understands I will keep putting him in the rubbish and I understand that he will get me out of it.

Works a treat!

The Forums have now moved to a new version

We have now moved the forum to a new and improved system which provides more functionality plus provides easier access from desktop, tablets and smart phone devices.

Click here to view the new forum & register for free.

Scroll to top