Gear | Tour | Industry Insider

Tuition:

Video Library | Tuition Sections

Community:

Join | Log In | Help | Useful Links

New Forum System - click here to visit our new & improved forum system >>>

How to practice short game

Posted by: user462395 | Thu 26th Apr 2012 19:48 | Last Reply

Hi all - I'm a newbie to the game and have been on the driving range a few times.  But I've read countless times that the most important part of the game is the short stuff. 

I know there are pay and play courses nearby which have areas to practice your short game, but are you allowed to simply stroll in and use them?  After all, you have to pay to play on the course, or to get a bucket of balls for the driving range.  But it seems it would be hugely beneficial to simply spend an hour on the short game.  But I've never seen any sort of price tariff to use these areas.

Is the etiquette that you should only use them if you are then paying for a round on the course?  I can't believe that there would be no charge for using these areas?

I would appreciate any feedback on this matter

thanks

Mark

re: How to practice short game
user430457
Reply : Thu 26th Apr 2012 20:39

Hi Mark,

the club I play at most , though not a member, has two short course pratice areas. One is attached to the driving range where you use range balls. The other is by the club house and comprises two putting greens plus a chipping area including bunker.

This is free to use, with your own balls.

I think the philosophy is that as a visitor using these facilities free of charge then you are more likely to come back and pay to play. The club is pretty relaxed.

On occassions i also take a wedge and a few balls up to a local park and have a chip about, not isnt strictly allowed though i consider this to be no more offensive than hanging around on swings drinking White Lightning!

user425195
Reply : Fri 27th Apr 2012 11:51

Hi Mark, my local course has a par 3 short course - 9 holes from 90 - 135yrds. Playing this course is a damn site more fun than practising and a great way to sharpen up your scoring - basically an approach shot, chipping onto the green and putting. And if you've got kids, it's a good way to keep them out of their mums hair for a couple of hours!

To answer your original question, I have never had any concern about using the practice facilities at a pay and play course - I think they assume that's what will happen.

user369251
Reply : Fri 27th Apr 2012 13:02

Hi Mark, something I like to do is create a mini game on the chipping area. Get 9 balls, scatter them about all around, and try and get up and down in a par 18 game. Rinse and repeat until you're happy with the score.

user20126 [FORUM MODERATOR]
Reply : Sat 28th Apr 2012 10:04

Finding a good par three course will certainly help to sharpen up your short game.

If the golf course is a pay and play then I would assume that the practice/warm up area is for the benefit of those people who are paying to play the course.

It might be worth asking if they mind you using the facilities.  Tell them you are just starting out and once your happy with your game you'll pay to play the course.  Or, play the course and get your face noticed, then when you use the facilities they will remember you from before.

Russ

user247577
Reply : Sat 28th Apr 2012 22:49

There is a course nr leeds that charges about £5:00hr for what it calls its academy course.

This has about three greens at several different shortish lengths along with a couple of bunkers.

to enable players to practice their short game without just slamming balls nowhere. seems like a good deal if you are any where near sometime. think the website is wvgc.co.uk  

The Forums have now moved to a new version

We have now moved the forum to a new and improved system which provides more functionality plus provides easier access from desktop, tablets and smart phone devices.

Click here to view the new forum & register for free.

Scroll to top