Tuition:

Video Library | Tuition Sections

Community:

Join | Log In | Help | Useful Links

New Forum System - click here to visit our new & improved forum system >>>

Putters

Posted by: user382265 | Tue 24th Apr 2012 09:43 | Last Reply

Hello

I'm after a putter to replace a very old (20 years old at least!), much too long one.  Dave Hicks Putting has been recommended, along with Yes and Gel.  Does anyone have any advice or recent experience for me?

thanks

re: Putters
user8 [FORUM MODERATOR]
Reply : Tue 24th Apr 2012 09:50

What type of putter do you have now and what length ?

I had my putter chopped down which worked wonders for me.  It is only 2 years old though

user382265
Reply : Tue 24th Apr 2012 09:57

It is a Vantage putter (ever heard of them?) that I had when I was a teenager.  It looks like something you'd hire for the crazy golf course on the seaside.  The pro coaching me is a bit taller, but has a putter 2 inches shorter.  

I've been playing about a year, and the pro said not to bother changing the putter straight away, but the time has now come.  So I'm sort of starting from scratch, though don't want to get caught up into changing gear every couple of years.

user20126 [FORUM MODERATOR]
Reply : Tue 24th Apr 2012 10:08

Start out by trying some putter at your golf club, take them on the practice putting green and see which ones you like.

Try as many as you can so that you get the correct one for you.

Russ

user338942
Reply : Tue 24th Apr 2012 13:05

Try a few different lengths of putter too. I had mine shortened to 29" last as I feel more comfortable without the kink in my elbows to make my hands higher

user80078
Reply : Tue 24th Apr 2012 13:09

The putter is a very individual weapon. Therefore I suggest you get out there and try to find the one waiting for you. When you've got it in your hands and have tried a few putts, you'll know it's for you. Good luck in your search. PS. It doesn't have to cost an arm and a leg by the way.

user24437
Reply : Tue 24th Apr 2012 16:41

Or you could just keep messing around with one like I do.  I've got an old cheapo Zebra Spider, it's had lumps taken off of it, weights added to it, alignment marks engraved on it and it's been shortened and regripped loads of times.  Latest project is a hardened steel face for it.

It started off black, but it's been grey, green but is currently metallic blue...  Was toying with doing it white next, 'cos that's best (apparently).

user382265
Reply : Wed 25th Apr 2012 08:19

Thank you everyone for your help.  It seems that the best advice is try loads and buy one I like the feel of.  I don't have to spend lots of money.  I'm not sure that I will use the colour as a criterion for my choice...

Thanks

user8 [FORUM MODERATOR]
Reply : Wed 25th Apr 2012 09:21

Michael, just love your post and it's so true!  Makes it sound like Harry Potter though and the hunt for a wand

The putter is a very individual weapon. Therefore I suggest you get out there and try to find the one waiting for you.

Matt, I did that with mine and, ignoring the last round, worked wonders for me.

user80078
Reply : Fri 27th Apr 2012 14:12

Thanks Darren. Perhaps that's why I have a garage overflowing with putters that have once had a little bit of magic about them, but no longer. lol. They know however, that if they wait patiently I may return to them at some time. 

user382265
Reply : Fri 27th Apr 2012 19:22

Feel free to send me a few Michael - I'll save a few quid then!

user382265
Reply : Thu 24th May 2012 19:23

Thanks all for your advice.

I have played around with loads, including messing about with my existing one. Tried lots of different ones at Golf Live, some at my pro's shop, some at American Golf. In the end I have plumped for an Odyssey White Ice Dart Mallet Style. I'll put the heaviest of the weights in it and am having the shaft cut to 32.5" and a slightly thicker grip.

I have no illusions. I am aware I have to operate it correctly and that it won't do magic. Nonetheless, I have found the alignment marks very helpful, and the feel is good - I seem to weight my putts much better.

Do feel free to tell me I've done a silly thing, a great thing or anything in between.

user407798
Reply : Thu 24th May 2012 21:35

Tell us how many putts you take next time out. going for a putter fitting myself tomorrow. Lost a bit of confidence with current one so thought worth seeing if there other options or whether It is probably more me than the stick...

The Forums have now moved to a new version

We have now moved the forum to a new and improved system which provides more functionality plus provides easier access from desktop, tablets and smart phone devices.

Click here to view the new forum & register for free.

Scroll to top