Gear | Tour | Industry Insider

Tuition:

Video Library | Tuition Sections

Community:

Join | Log In | Help | Useful Links

New Forum System - click here to visit our new & improved forum system >>>

european golf tour

Posted by: user390191 | Sun 22nd Apr 2012 22:26 | Last Reply

now i know this sounds daft to ask but how can the european golf tour be called that as they dont play them all in europe, i know they include the masters ect in the usa but should they have a new name for it

re: european golf tour
user369251
Reply : Mon 23rd Apr 2012 12:36

I agree Karl. I think there may actually be more events played outside of Europe than in! Morocco, China, Africa, all not in Europe! grrrr

user38216
Reply : Mon 23rd Apr 2012 14:11

Just call it the non-pga tour!

user250721
Reply : Mon 23rd Apr 2012 15:41

I personally dont have a problem with it.

Look at it like this. The events in Dubai, China, South Africa ect all come at the start of the season when conditions over here are poor.
I would rather see the top players play the Euro tour events in other parts of the world early on in the season than lose them all to the PGA as they seem to get the better conditions all year round.

Also it does do great things for the game globally to see the Asians, South Africans ect comming through.

user390191
Reply : Mon 23rd Apr 2012 16:50

true matt but to me it cant be called the european tour if they dont just do europe

user451055
Reply : Mon 23rd Apr 2012 19:39

It would be great to change the name to the World Tour. After all - there are 3 events in the USA (the three majors) which are on the current European tour as well as the PGA so it would be a legitimate name change as the tour does cover just about every continent.

Might upset the PGA somewhat though as I think they have designs on expanding with their recent forays into China.

Steady now.

user250721
Reply : Mon 23rd Apr 2012 19:48

Changing the name is out of the question. Seve would be turning......

user390191
Reply : Mon 23rd Apr 2012 21:29

i think the end of the day they are all going were the money is as you see in other sports like football, cricket and even f1, and i bet with in 5 years there will be less european golf and more in the middle east and asia

user202037 [FORUM MODERATOR]
Reply : Mon 23rd Apr 2012 22:35

"The European Tour" is a members tour, for members of The European Tour.

Co Sanctioned Events are then held and ET Members can enter these and prize money counts towards the Order of Merit List (as does Masters, US Open & USPGA plus WG events.)

The remit of the ET is to provide competition for its members, and this is what it is doing.

TheLyth

user20126 [FORUM MODERATOR]
Reply : Tue 24th Apr 2012 01:39

The US tour do play some events in South America, so they are at it too!

Russ

user369251
Reply : Tue 24th Apr 2012 13:12

Wouldn't a singular governing body, with sanctioned events all over the world, be the best thing to have? That way, any member (if they so wished) could play in any event, any time, with prize money and ranking points weighted as per prestige of the event?

user390191
Reply : Tue 24th Apr 2012 18:28

have to agree with chris on the single body, but i guess that would never happen as what may be good for one would not be for the other, but what i see of the euro tour on tv the top players are only playing in the big ones

user202037 [FORUM MODERATOR]
Reply : Wed 25th Apr 2012 02:37

Chris,

You mean the same way The World Rankings are worked on at the moment. The better the field, the more points on offer.

TheLyth

user369251
Reply : Wed 25th Apr 2012 16:19

The Lyth - yeah basically! Would be far easier to regulate and be a true reflection of rankings if all are on the same tour.

user390191
Reply : Wed 25th Apr 2012 16:26

but if the top players are picking the ones they want to play which means to me that some of the smaller opens may not have the players that people want to see but i guess thats like everything money talks

The Forums have now moved to a new version

We have now moved the forum to a new and improved system which provides more functionality plus provides easier access from desktop, tablets and smart phone devices.

Click here to view the new forum & register for free.

Scroll to top