Tuition:

Video Library | Tuition Sections

Community:

Join | Log In | Help | Useful Links

New Forum System - click here to visit our new & improved forum system >>>

My recent collapse - The follow up

Posted by: user250721 | Fri 20th Apr 2012 21:53 | Last Reply

Evening Gang

So here is the follow up from my recent post about my game falling to bits. If you haven’t read it then you can find it HERE

So this afternoon I played on the Golf Days UK Essex tour - Race to Stoke Park.

This was my second event on the tour. I had play in the first at The Essex GC and come away with a very disappointing 13 points. I must stress at this point that this was my first ever competitive round of golf and it’s off 3/4 handicap. At the time I was off 20 so was off 15 for the comp.

Today I turn up around 40 mins before my tee time. It’s raining and I had been at work until about 30 mins before hand. Collected my card (off 15 again for the day) and headed off to the putting green for 5 mins before the off.

I was grouped up with 3 other young guys (I'd guess all about my age, 26.). Obviously I had never met them before (this will become important)

Started with a 6 on a par 5. Hit the green in reg but 3 putted (ill take the 3 putts on the first hole)
Then had par bogey (both 1 putts)

Anyway, kept ticking over. Hitting it really well. 4/9 Greens and 5/7 fairways on the front and found myself with 17 points (off 3/4 remember!!) at the turn. 4 more than I had managed in the whole of the last event.

I was waiting for the collapse. And waiting. And waiting. It kind of came. Only managed 11 on the back which included 1 penalty. 2 shots out of 1 bunker. and 6x3 putts on the back.

But I was over the moon with a Gross 96 and 28 points. I knew I wasn’t going to win anything. That’s not why I went.

So why was this round different to the last few?
Maybe because I didn’t expect anything?

Maybe this time round I hadn’t put extra pressure on myself due to not playing with people that I know? Maybe in my head I’m trying too hard with those I know well?

Who knows? But it will make Mondays round a lot more fun!

re: My recent collapse - The follow up
user8 [FORUM MODERATOR]
Reply : Sun 22nd Apr 2012 13:05

Well done Matt.

If you haven't already you should read some of the Bob Rotalla stuff or any of the other coaches focusing on mental fitness like Adam Sprackling from Single Minded Golfer.

Did you think about this during your round 'I was waiting for the collapse' ?  could this mindset have impacted the back 9 because you were waiting for the negative to happen ?

There is also a good article in Golf World featured on the sports performance coach Dave Alred who's been working with Luke Donald.

I had a similar round to you earlier this week, hit a nice 91 but had 41 putts!  The first 2 foot putt I stepped over for some reason I had thoughts about some of the putts Westwood missed at the Masters, I then subsquently missed a 2 footer!   Then for every similar putt afterwards my thought was 'I could miss this'  so obviously I did and walked off with 41 putts!

re: My recent collapse - The follow up
user250721
Reply : Sun 22nd Apr 2012 18:41

Darren.

I know of Adam and maybe he is someone worth speaking to.

I'll have to admit that it was in the back of my mind. especially with the front 9 i'd had.
But I wasnt standing on the tee think that this is where its going to happen.

The Forums have now moved to a new version

We have now moved the forum to a new and improved system which provides more functionality plus provides easier access from desktop, tablets and smart phone devices.

Click here to view the new forum & register for free.

Scroll to top