Gear | Tour | Industry Insider

Tuition:

Video Library | Tuition Sections

Community:

Join | Log In | Help | Useful Links

New Forum System - click here to visit our new & improved forum system >>>

your club handicap.

Posted by: user437159 | Thu 12th Apr 2012 09:51 | Last Reply

recently i've noticed people's golf shake handicaps are usually lower than their club handicaps - me being one of them (16). anyone else noticed this? also i am aware that Gols Shake doesn't go by the CONGU handicap rules.

re: your club handicap.
user8 [FORUM MODERATOR]
Reply : Thu 12th Apr 2012 10:02

Liam that is correct, we are slightly different to CONGU.  Obviously your 'official' club handicap is a handicap based on your club, using Golfshake we obviously monitor based on ALL rounds for any course and not just competitive golf.

Interestingly though through quite a bit of research.  Active club golfers that play a lot of competitive golf but also track every social round they play generally see only a +/- 1 difference between what we provide with the Golfshake handicap and their club handicap.

Maybe we should employ a similar system to the US & South African and make every golfer record every full round they play!

user414803
Reply : Thu 12th Apr 2012 12:16

i have just checked my Handicap on a different website and found my Golf Shake handicap is higher.

What one should i use when i next play? 

user52922
Reply : Thu 12th Apr 2012 18:44

One must always play off their lowest handicap.

user8 [FORUM MODERATOR]
Reply : Thu 12th Apr 2012 20:55

Matt, club handicap if you have one.

user16106
Reply : Thu 12th Apr 2012 22:23

Paul, Is handicap adjustment not based on the sss of any course ? Although handicap would only be true at 1 course. So a 10 handicap at a sss67 may not be as good as a15 handicap on a sss 73. Get where youre coming from DOH!

Dave CAC handed Geordie.

user355541
Reply : Thu 12th Apr 2012 22:41

The Standard Scratch Score does take the difficulty of courses into account.

user16106
Reply : Fri 13th Apr 2012 08:57

Maybe an aditional equation should be implimented so that handicaps from 2 different courses could be compared. What about (Hcap / sss of own club x 72) so 15 hcap at an easy sss 66 would equate to 15/66x72=16.3   15 hcap at a hard sss 73 would equate to 15/73x72=14.8 something along these lines.

Dave CAC handed Geordie.

user8 [FORUM MODERATOR]
Reply : Fri 13th Apr 2012 09:24

or here's an idea.  Money is spent and the courses are rated using the US system of slope/course rating similar to what European courses are doing.

You can then get a golf handicap across courses and your handicap can be adjusted when you play different courses.

user16106
Reply : Fri 13th Apr 2012 09:39

What happens when 2 clubs play each other in a local comp or league ? Club A is an easy SSS 67 and club B is a tricky SSS 73. Is anything adjusted? if not higher SSS players will have the advantage.

Dave CAC handed Geordie.

user8 [FORUM MODERATOR]
Reply : Fri 13th Apr 2012 09:59

I'm not a club golfer until this afternoon, so can't comment on club comps

For Open Club Comps there is a system set-up for home/away CSS etc

user356537
Reply : Fri 13th Apr 2012 12:47

Dave, that would seem logical but I watch a lot (and I mean more than you can probably imagine) of elite amatuer golf being played.  Strangely, you often find that the handicaps from those at courses with high SSS's are lower than they probably should be - at least for Category 1 playes.

My own club is a tight tree lined parkland course (Par 71, SSS 71).  We have one member who also plays at Birkdale.  He regularly makes the 200+ mile round trip to play competitions at Birkdale (Par 70, SSS 74) becuse he finds it easier to get his handicap cut round there!

Richard

user355541
Reply : Fri 13th Apr 2012 16:18

The major difference between courses has always been home advantage. If you move from one club to another, you cannot expect to play to your previous handicap until you have got to grips with the ins and outs of the new course (i.e. home advantage). Handicaps are transferable but you cannot expect to play to handicap immediately on arrival at a new course.

You said it yourself that there was a 5 or 6 difference in SSS, so you would expect your scores to be at least 5 or 6 more, if not 9 or 10 because of the unfamiliarity of the new course.

Last edit : Fri 13th Apr 2012 16:22
user38216
Reply : Fri 13th Apr 2012 20:44

I will always play off my congu official handicap in competitions because I have achieved that handicap in competitive play

user355541
Reply : Sat 14th Apr 2012 15:18

Come on Darren, tell us which club has the honour of having you as a member.

The Forums have now moved to a new version

We have now moved the forum to a new and improved system which provides more functionality plus provides easier access from desktop, tablets and smart phone devices.

Click here to view the new forum & register for free.

Scroll to top