Tuition:

Video Library | Tuition Sections

Community:

Join | Log In | Help | Useful Links

New Forum System - click here to visit our new & improved forum system >>>

How to educate.....?

Posted by: user293240 | Thu 12th Apr 2012 09:47 | Last Reply

I'm now safely in the Pro Shop!

We had a customer come in yesterday and he asked about a new driver.

Bearing in mind the pro shop now has the ability to supply hand built, custom fitted clubs the Pro's reply was.....

"It depends what you want. I would reckomend either Ping or Taylormade"...

When the customer left I suggested that maybe he changed his pitch to "It depends whether you want to have a custom built driver or one off the shelf".

I think I have my work cut out with this one....

Last edit : Sat 14th Apr 2012 08:58
re: How to educate.....?
user24437
Reply : Thu 12th Apr 2012 15:20

None so blind as those who will not see, Matt.

My suggestion would be to get a cheap and nasty driver head and stick a really decent shaft in it and let the pro use it for a while.  Try and get him and other pro's there that it's not about the brand, it's what works.  If you can't persude them (and it will be difficult) try just intercepting the prospective customers first...

user24437
Reply : Thu 12th Apr 2012 20:33

Matt, had a feeling you'd say that, a strange attitude in my opinion but one that is all too common amongst professionals (not just in golf either).   So that still leaves you with a few options:

1) build a driver with a 'famous' make head but not the OEM shaft and see if he'll try it.  Even better if you can get a counterfeit head dirt cheap.

2) build the aformentioned driver with the good shaft and rubbish head, but spray it some garish colour and use it as a display model to attract the punters (not pink though, please!) and bypass the pro.

3) punch the pro in the face*

* Possibly not the best business orientated model

user8 [FORUM MODERATOR]
Reply : Thu 12th Apr 2012 21:10

Tim, have you done anything with that Big Bertha yet ? 

user355541
Reply : Thu 12th Apr 2012 22:44

Am I missing something here?

Does a 20 handicapper know everything a pro should know?

user355541
Reply : Fri 13th Apr 2012 06:30

Thanks for the explanation - there was no offence intended.

user16106
Reply : Fri 13th Apr 2012 08:47

Very briefly Matt, how does the progress of a new driver work at your place? Whats in it for the pro to get a driver built for the user. Whats in it for you either way? Do you get the sale weather its off the shelf or only if you build it?

Dave CAC handed Geordie.

user77012
Reply : Sat 14th Apr 2012 09:39

I would sutley winkhttp://www.golfshake.com/scripts/ckeditor362/plugins/smiley/images/wink_smile.gif" title="wink" width="20" /> leave your bag of gawjus shinneys hanging around the pro shop, they'll get noticed.

The Forums have now moved to a new version

We have now moved the forum to a new and improved system which provides more functionality plus provides easier access from desktop, tablets and smart phone devices.

Click here to view the new forum & register for free.

Scroll to top