Gear | Tour | Industry Insider

Tuition:

Video Library | Tuition Sections

Community:

Join | Log In | Help | Useful Links

New Forum System - click here to visit our new & improved forum system >>>

listening to music on course.

Posted by: user437159 | Wed 11th Apr 2012 09:38 | Last Reply

it seems to be a trend recently that many golfers listen to music through ear pohones on - me being one of them. it came to me yesterday that is it legal? just a thought..

re: listening to music on course.
user64715
Reply : Wed 11th Apr 2012 10:07

When a golf ball flies past your ear, you'll probably wish that you had heard someone shout FORE.

user21179
Reply : Wed 11th Apr 2012 13:06

not sure about the legality Liam, but what about enjoying the enviroment around you a little more !!

Thats assuming you only have them in when playing by yourself. 

If i was grouped with someone who had earphones in, i would definately ask them to remove them so that we could actually have some conversation !!!

user80078
Reply : Wed 11th Apr 2012 14:00

The safety aspect is worth considering. How would you stand (or fall) if hit by an errant shot and you failed to hear a clear shout of 'fore'. I know this wouldn't exonerate the ball striker from liability, but it might make your case for recompense more difficult. (just a thought!)

user437159
Reply : Wed 11th Apr 2012 15:16

i dont think ive explained this post very well, i only have one in at half volume and only when im on my own. it would be rather rude if i had a playing partner.

user451055
Reply : Wed 11th Apr 2012 16:54

I saw a chap and his son finishing their round recently and the son had earphones in. I know they were family but even so I thought it a bit rude to have them in. 

I'm not one for too much chatter during a round but at least I am available for a conversation if my partners want an occasional natter.

user417527
Reply : Thu 12th Apr 2012 22:40

I have played quite a few rounds where I have had my iPod playing. I certainly think that I'm still able to enjoy the environment and it perhaps even enhances it a little. Gives the course a "soundtrack" if you will.

I never have it loud enough that I couldn't have a conversation with someone, although i have only ever played as a single when I have had my earplugs in. I would compare it to having a conversation with someone in a room where you have music on in the background.

I even believe that it helped my scores, as it distracted my thoughts away from any prevously hit bad shots, and with the right music on it helps keep your spirits up.

No idea if some courses would object to the practise, but there are probably a few out there who just seem to love to ban anything that they're not sure about.

user246626
Reply : Fri 13th Apr 2012 19:07

A guy i often play with brings his earphones with him and listens to music as were playing. He has both ear phones in and seems oblivious to everything going on around him and how rude he is being. Its a very long converation free round to say the least. I've tried dropping a few hints to get rid of the music but he wont be told. I now refuse to play with him until he scraps the music.

Golf isnt just about playing its a social event and chatting with your playing partner/s so in my opinion earphones should be banned on the course along with mobile phones unless for an emergency

user16106
Reply : Fri 13th Apr 2012 19:19

Adam Im with you, I wouldnt play with this bloke, I think id have to tell him straight. It would be like going for a drink with a mate and he has his ipod on all night.

Dave CAC handed Geordie.

The Forums have now moved to a new version

We have now moved the forum to a new and improved system which provides more functionality plus provides easier access from desktop, tablets and smart phone devices.

Click here to view the new forum & register for free.

Scroll to top