Gear | Tour | Industry Insider

Tuition:

Video Library | Tuition Sections

Community:

Join | Log In | Help | Useful Links

New Forum System - click here to visit our new & improved forum system >>>

My recent collapse

Posted by: user250721 | Tue 10th Apr 2012 20:45 | Last Reply

Ok, I’m going draw the entire picture so stay with me.

Been playing 3 years. Got to a level with minimal lessons before I felt if I wanted to take this further then I would need to have some further lessons.

Last year I have got myself down to around 19 (shot 87 once).
This year I have only broke 100 once. Struggled to hit greens (went 3 rounds without hitting any) where my driving had improved massively.

I've had 3x 3 hour lessons within the last 6 weeks.

Over the Bank holiday weekend I managed to play Friday, Saturday and Monday. All 3 rounds were on new courses.

First round on Friday with a fellow Golfshaker I shot 106. However did score 29 points. (Off 20)
This included a Birdie (hitting a par 4 green in one) and 3/4 pars, which for me this year is really good. I felt really good and was hitting more greens than I had all year. Then BOOM 5x 9's and 8 Penalties.

Saturday's round was on a tougher course. I shot 103. 23 points.
Maybe 4 or 5 pars again. A couple of Birdie chances just missing. Playing really well then BOOM 5 Penalties, more lost balls and more 7's and 8's more duffed shots.

Monday. Shot 103 and 23 points again.
Points wise I Started with 1, 4, 3, 2 (Gross Double, Birdie, Par, Bogey) Felt really really good. Hitting 3 out of first 5 greens Then BOOM. Ended up with only 13 points on the front and 10 on the back. More duffed shots and more penalties.

Overall I feel the lessons really helped and looking at the stats I do feel really good about my game. And trying to take the positives I’m hitting more greens (still needs to be more) made more Birdies and Pars than what I had been before the lessons.

So the question is, where does it all go? Any help/Advice is great.

re: My recent collapse
user80078
Reply : Tue 10th Apr 2012 23:44

It's interesting that you feel you should be hitting greens. With your handicap it is not neccesary to hit greens in regulation. Perhaps you are overstretching yourself and not using the shots that your handicap gives. Try thinking of par 3's as 4's and 4's as 5's. This will take pressure off you and allow you to enjoy the task more. Also you can cut out the risk shots that cause so many penalties in your round. I hope this thought helps. Enjoy your golf.

user24437
Reply : Wed 11th Apr 2012 00:01

Matt.  I know what you're going through, I did exactly same as you when I was of a similar handicap. Just when I felt that everything was coming together I just started going backwards.  It's something that happens, in fact I'm going through another patch like that at the moment.  You've just got to keep plugging away, maybe even take a week or two off from the game and it will come back.

user64715
Reply : Wed 11th Apr 2012 00:14

Hang in there Matt, I've spent the last 6 months going through a terrible slump where I couldn't break 100, but with a bit of targetted practice on the short game and long irons/driver, I've been getting close to breaking 90 in the last couple of months. I agree with Michael about focusing too much on hitting greens. I'm quite happy that I can score a 95 when I only hit 1 green in the round when I know that I my short game has improved to compensate. I can then focus a bit more on the long game and improve on my wild tee shots and then I'll soon see a few shots coming off my score. I recently shot 93 around a difficult course that I had never played before and got 39 points. I would never have imagined that back at the beginning of the year.

I would be interested in what people think about the causes of duffed shots. For me they are about expectation, trying to overhit a shot by choosing an unrealistic target; or by nerves when playing a delicate shot. I've improved on one of these areas over the winter but am still working on the other.

Last edit : Wed 11th Apr 2012 00:22
user425195
Reply : Wed 11th Apr 2012 11:23

Matt - I can only compare what I have been going through recently - I've worked out that my problem was about being realistic. I was looking at the flag with a 5 iron in my hand and 250 yards to go, on  a good day and some roll I can get my 5 iron 150-170 yards, therefore I hit too hard trying to get more and end up duffing, topping or hooking. This occurred to me after a particularly bad round last week. I went on the range yesterday and tried to simulate the same holes, but being realistic about my distances and now feel a lot more confident (can manage 500 yards in 3 shots almost 100% of the time). So to summarise, for what it's worth from a 28 h'capper - stop looking at the greens and pick a target that you can easily reach with the club in hand. _ Good luck!!

user451055
Reply : Wed 11th Apr 2012 16:59

This has happened to me too. I spent Nov and Dec in New Zealand playing nearly every day and my goal was to break 100 over there. On my very last day not only did I break 100 I shot 90 even with a triple on the last! 

I really thought I was making a great breakthrough in my golf. Got back to England and couldn't repeat it. 

I then stopped spending all my practice time on my long game but forced myself to spend 2/3  on my short game. 100 yards and in and putting. It is not as much fun but it has had a huge impact on my game. I have shot just over 100 in last few rounds and feel like I am just about to have another corker.

As every Pro always says when asked for advice on how to improve handicap - practice the short game!

user369251
Reply : Thu 12th Apr 2012 12:25

Hi Matt, I too am having the woes at the minute, couldn't hit a beachball recently (check my last few scores...) All the gents at my club suggest either one of taking 2 weeks off, and then seeing how it is, or playing as often as possible and working through it. Golf is such a cruel game, but more rewarding than any other sport I've played. The bogey golf tip is a good one, you take all the pressure off yourself, think I'll use that this weekend!

user367592
Reply : Sun 15th Apr 2012 22:31

Hi Matt,

As you know I've seen you play and I know you can play the game. It's only a question of time before your handicap starts to fall. What you are experiencing is no different to what the majority of us have been through and will continue to battle no matter what level we are at.

I think what Michael says above is very good advice. Looking back on how I have progressed since I was at your level, I would concur that course management and using the shots that you have got will most definitely give you better results as well as help you to know what shot to play under what circumstances etc.

Another thing I would add is that personally I feel golf is something that cannot be rushed in any way and you are more likely to play better when you are not trying too hard. That doesn't meant that you shouldnt practice nor have a desire to improve, of course you should.

When you are on the course, you need to think patiently, be methodical and choose the shot you are comfortable with every time.

Lately I have a mantra where I neither overreact to my bad holes, nor overcelebrate my good ones, it keeps me on an even keel and I would recommend this mindset to anyone who's willing to give it a try. Of course once the round is over the post mortem can begin, but during the round the only thing you should focus on is your target and trusting your ability (which you have plenty of!).

Good luck with it!

Steve

user250721
Reply : Sun 15th Apr 2012 22:52

Want to say thanks to everyone for the feedback/advice.

As ever this place always comes up trumps.

I'll keep you up to date with the progress.

user130832
Reply : Tue 17th Apr 2012 11:44

I think the most relevant point here is that you must know how far you can consistently and comfortably hit each club. then go from there. I'm also crap Ha ha

user250721
Reply : Fri 20th Apr 2012 22:38

Anyone interested then you'll find an update of my progress here

The Forums have now moved to a new version

We have now moved the forum to a new and improved system which provides more functionality plus provides easier access from desktop, tablets and smart phone devices.

Click here to view the new forum & register for free.

Scroll to top