Gear | Tour | Industry Insider

Tuition:

Video Library | Tuition Sections

Community:

Join | Log In | Help | Useful Links

New Forum System - click here to visit our new & improved forum system >>>

Golf Courses in Leeds

Posted by: user350435 | Tue 10th Apr 2012 10:13 | Last Reply

I want to join a club in Leeds and just wondered if people had any recommendations. I've looked at a few in north Leeds such as Leeds GC and Moor Allerton, both of which look really nice but as I've not played any of them I'm not sure.  I was wanting some info on course quality, facilities and clubhouse friendliness etc. 

I was previously a member at oulton hall but it was heaving all the time so I decided not to renew.

re: Golf Courses in Leeds
user8 [FORUM MODERATOR]
Reply : Tue 10th Apr 2012 10:44

I know quite a few people better placed to answer this question who frequent the forums and I'm sure will reply but in relation to this   facilities and clubhouse friendliness    from what I've heard both are spot on.

Moor Allerton is a cracking set-up and course with 27 holes so lots of variety when playing.

I've not played Leeds but heard good things and I know they are doing lots of work.  I'm also planning a Golfshake event there later in the year.

user350435
Reply : Tue 10th Apr 2012 10:56

Cheers, information on any course in Leeds would be good, only reason I mentioned those two 

was their the only 2 I've looked at so far, there are loads to choose from, I'm spoilt for choice!

user202037 [FORUM MODERATOR]
Reply : Tue 10th Apr 2012 23:28

Matt,

Give me a list of you 'wants' and 'don't wants' and I will match a course for you.

TheLyth

user350435
Reply : Wed 11th Apr 2012 07:46

want - friendly course that welcomes newcomers, I will be joining the course not knowing anyone so this is important, regular comps/social events, access to the course whenever I like in the week, somewhere that doesnt get really busy, range of holes not just a flat feaureless course, whats the course like in winter, does it drain well - this is important

dont want - opposite of the above

user356537
Reply : Wed 11th Apr 2012 08:47

Matt.  There are some great courses in that area.  Make sure you take a look at Moortown and Alwoodley as well. 

Reply : Wed 11th Apr 2012 11:16

Matt,

And cost?

Alwoodley is quiet but fees are high, you almost have to be a Professional person to be a member there. Great course though.

Why not look at two memberships? A Muni gives a friendly social side (Roundhay) and any course then gives you the other side.

TheLyth

user350435
Reply : Wed 11th Apr 2012 11:24

Looking at paying 1000-1500, just spoke to headingley, that's 1000 plus same again joining fee which  I was wanting to avoid if possible

user99350
Reply : Wed 11th Apr 2012 13:27

Matt, there are a lot of good courses, Moor Allerton (my course) has been mentioned. I've played all the courses in Leeds and picked Moor Allerton as every one of the 27 holes has its own character and merits and possibly only two holes can be considered to be 'samey'. The facilities are great. It will cost around £1500 though you can get different packages and I'm sure there is no joining fee (if there is I'm sure you can negotiate that away). I've never been waiting to play as there are three starting points.

Lyth did put Allwodley into perspective: it is the most prestigious, and consequently costly and that's if they'll allow you in.

I think it's a buyers market so don't be afraid to barter and good luck.

user350435
Reply : Wed 11th Apr 2012 13:38

Patrick, I took a drive to Moor Allerton GC last weekend and from what I could see the course looked really nice.  Have you ever played Scarcroft?

Re Alwoodley I've heard some bad things about that club such as a guy being a member there who played off scratch and was ignored by a lot of other members so he left, could be a one off but it makes you think

user451055
Reply : Wed 11th Apr 2012 17:15

Moortown (my club) is a brilliant course (The Open regional qualifying is being held there for next 5 years) and very friendly but I'm not sure if there is a waiting list and there definitely is a painful joining fee.

Alwoodly - another brilliant course but I'm not sure if it markets itself as a social club. My husband plays there a few times a year as a guest and he says it is very quiet. There would be no problem getting on the course but if you want to social side as well that might not be so good.

Moor Allerton - I have played up there a few times. It seems a very social club with friendly members and good facilities. I have to say though that I'm not too keen on the course. Yes there are 27 holes and they are all very different but it is VERY VERY hilly and very wet in winter. I have heard that members have to wear special spiked wellies in winter  - although they could have been pulling my leg. You definitely need a powered trolley to play there.

Cookridge - played there once and thought it was great - lovely course - challenging but not as tough as Alwoodly and Moortown. I have only played it once but thought it was great and very friendly.

Roundhay - this is only 9 holes (I think)

Sandmoor - similar pricing and joining fees as Moortown - a good course with nice greens but they have temporary greens and you have to play off a mat in winter.

Wike Ridge - this used to be a bit of a bit of a farmers field but I know it has been bought by someone with plenty of cash to spend and they have already improved a lot of the facilities. If they are spending cash on the course as well as the facilities then it could be a good one to go for. I think they have a par 3 course as well as the full course.

Last edit : Wed 11th Apr 2012 17:18
user106712
Reply : Wed 11th Apr 2012 18:59

I have played Scarcroft, it's a nice course with friendly members and not a bad price. they have no joining fee this year as far as I know. They also have some vacancies. The problem is that they seem to close greens at the drop of a hat as they have poor drainage. So be prepared to play on temps through most of winter plus part of autumn and spring.

I played Horsforth last november and found it to be a friendly club good price ( £890 ) and no joining fee. Also they try their best to allways have proper greens. When I played in November the greens were among the best I have ever played on.

I played Cobble Hall 2 weeks ago and that was nice. the members seemed friendly and the course was very nice although most of the tees had been moved foreward for winter. At the moment there is no joining fee and the membership is £880. well worth it if you ask me.

user350435
Reply : Thu 12th Apr 2012 08:06

guys, thanks for all your help, i checked out cookridge online, it looks really nice and is a very reasonable price for full membership.  didnt realise there was this many to choose from!

user451055
Reply : Thu 12th Apr 2012 11:27

North Leeds is awesome for golf. We ended up living here by accident (got moved to Leeds for work and just happened to find a house in the north) and it was the best move we ever made. A very wide range of courses to suit every pocket and every ability.

Reply : Thu 12th Apr 2012 12:10

Some years ago (so the story goes) a group teed off the first at Moortown and arrived back on the 18th some twelve hours later having played Moortown, Sandmoor and Moor Allerton without knowing they had changed courses.

Moortowns 18th ran along side Sandmoors opening and closing holes. Moortowns old 11th & 12th (now 14th?) ran along side Moor Allerton.

Sandmoors clubhouse was on the right as you drove down the drive to Moortown.

TheLyth 

user99350
Reply : Thu 12th Apr 2012 16:22

Too true Lyth. but to elaborate; Alwoodley is bang next to Wyke (Leeds GCentre), which is bang next to 'The Village' (a little 13 hole pay and play course that is well worth a visit, which is next to Moor Allerton. A hedge seperates them all. Ahh, North Leeds, the only problem is the drainage (and the accent).  

Last edit : Thu 12th Apr 2012 16:24

The Forums have now moved to a new version

We have now moved the forum to a new and improved system which provides more functionality plus provides easier access from desktop, tablets and smart phone devices.

Click here to view the new forum & register for free.

Scroll to top