Tuition:

Video Library | Tuition Sections

Community:

Join | Log In | Help | Useful Links

New Forum System - click here to visit our new & improved forum system >>>

HELP for a beginner

Posted by: user458579 | Mon 9th Apr 2012 13:56 | Last Reply

Hi all 

I just wanted to asked for ur help. I have at the moment callaway s2h2 irons with reg shaft but was told maybe best to buy new ones by a pro, so off i went and bought some R9TP irons with stiff shaft have i done wrong as i am a 28 hand/c and a ripe old age of 60 and just been playing for a year  thanks to anyone who could be of assistance

regards pete

re: HELP for a beginner
user356537
Reply : Mon 9th Apr 2012 16:23

Pete, if you are new to the game and 60 years old it is, in my opinion, very unlikey that stiff shafts are going to be suitable.  If it was a PGA profrssional that allowed you to buy them I think I would be making a complaint!

Richard

user52922
Reply : Mon 9th Apr 2012 17:05

Just proves my belief that the modern professional marketing guys just do not have a clue. No one needs stiff shafts until they can hit the ball 280 yards. All my professional playing friends use regular shafts.

user443588
Reply : Wed 11th Apr 2012 07:56

Hi Peter,

did you buy the clubs from a local store?! If so i'd do as others have replied and complain/return the items to then be fitted properly for the correct clubs.

best of luck

user78137
Reply : Wed 11th Apr 2012 19:29

If going to a professional or even a store such as American golf it is in their best interests to sell you the right clubs for your abilty/age etc.

This does look like a bit of a naughty thing to have done to you. Generally you need a high swing speed to use stiff shafts, similar to most top professionals.  At 28 hcp and please forgive me if I'm wrong 60 I would be extremely suprised if you had a swing speed around a ton upwards.

Average amatuer golfers are 70 to maybe 90 on a good day. I think you need to go back to the shop mate.  Use the terms "not fit for the purpose" & "misleading sales" Trading standards would have a field day with this!

Good luck I hope when this gets sorted you will enjoy the game as much as most on here!!

user99350
Reply : Tue 17th Apr 2012 13:18

Peter, I'm glad it all worked our for you (whoever told you to get stiff shafts really does want putting straight). Anyway, regular shafts should suit you nicely and titeist have been a class act since the 70's when they were my first set of 'real' clubs. As with any new clubs, give them them a chance and take your time and get used to the clubs themselves, don't barge in hoping to nail everyone of your low irons. It took me a couple of months to get to know my clubs. Good luck

user451727
Reply : Thu 19th Apr 2012 08:57

A friend of mine forked out a fortune on the advice of a local pro for clubs that were way too advanced for him. As a beginner I was flabbergasted at how much he spent on clubs.

Another friend of mine who has a handicap of 4 told me he has only ever had 3 sets of irons in 21 years, his current set are a battered set of Mizuno Comp CT's. He bought them off Ebay, did not have them fitted. His advice to me ages ago was try a set of irons out on a range and if they feel right, they are right. The best comment he made to me regarding the marketing and latest trend in clubs is this:

"You can't buy a good round of golf" 

The Forums have now moved to a new version

We have now moved the forum to a new and improved system which provides more functionality plus provides easier access from desktop, tablets and smart phone devices.

Click here to view the new forum & register for free.

Scroll to top