Gear | Tour | Industry Insider

Tuition:

Video Library | Tuition Sections

Community:

Join | Log In | Help | Useful Links

New Forum System - click here to visit our new & improved forum system >>>

Complete Beginner!!!

Posted by: user458552 | Mon 9th Apr 2012 12:58 | Last Reply

Hi having never picked up a golf club or hit a ball in my life I decided to jump straight in with a beginner course of lessons at my local golf centre. I am left handed but  I am a right handed golfer, who knew!!

Despite being, ahem, not that good and probably the worst in the group of people in the lesson I just wanted to encourage anyone who is feeling a bit scared about getting into golf. My main motivation for playing is to learn more about the game, I have just bought a business selling golf equipment and also so I can see my husband at the weekends from time to time. If you cant beat em join em. I have not bought any equipment or clothing I just turn up in my jeans and they provide the clubs. Got my third lesson tonight and am definitely getting hooked.

So, you dont need loads of cash to spend if you want to try it out. My four lessons were £35 in total. I am now on the lookout for a set of second hand ladies clubs to start me off. I found myself glued to the Masters looking at golf swings as if any of that magic would rub off on me!

I think it is quite hard to take that first step particularly as a female. I have no female friends who play so I have had to do this on my own.

Anyway, now all I need is the time to actually play!!

Claire Tucker

{{LINK REMOVED}}

Last edit : Mon 9th Apr 2012 13:03
re: Complete Beginner!!!
user443588
Reply : Wed 11th Apr 2012 07:51

Hi Claire,

First of all best of luck with the lessons and getting yourself into golf. It's a very rewarding game but at the same time an extremely frustrating one too.

I think you've done the right thing and got yourself some lessons (even though i never have). I would encourage to keep them up and even find yourself a local municiple course to play on as hitting a ball of the astro is completely different to actually playing for real. If you have no lady friends who play try and find someone from here to have a quick round if they're local to you. It will help.

Best of luck and keep us all informed of how you're doing

Last edit : Wed 11th Apr 2012 07:51
re: Complete Beginner!!!
user78137
Reply : Wed 11th Apr 2012 19:38

Hi Claire

It's nice to hear yo jumping on the roller coaster.  It is a beautiful game, but it can bite!

You have definitely made the right choice to get lessons early, this way it will hopefully help you not get the bad habits we all get from time to time.

It's maybe a little early for you to spend a lot of hard earned cash on a golf club, but this is a good way to eet fellow lady golfers.

Some golf societies also welcome ladies. Golf shake have a regular tournament, maybe have a blast with the boys & hopefully girls?

I would recommend a post requesting female golfers around your area for a game.

I wish you all the best in your venture in business & in golf, you wont regret it!

David

The Forums have now moved to a new version

We have now moved the forum to a new and improved system which provides more functionality plus provides easier access from desktop, tablets and smart phone devices.

Click here to view the new forum & register for free.

Scroll to top