Gear | Tour | Industry Insider

Tuition:

Video Library | Tuition Sections

Community:

Join | Log In | Help | Useful Links

New Forum System - click here to visit our new & improved forum system >>>

Measuring a drop.

Posted by: user42974 | Mon 9th Apr 2012 12:33 | Last Reply

If you have a broom handle putter can you use it to measure the length on a drop,

They say use your longest club so why not use it?

If you can not use it why ? It's count towards your 14 clubs.

re: Measuring a drop.
user356537
Reply : Mon 9th Apr 2012 16:17

You are allowed to use a long putter to measure out where you drop your ball but it is very much frowned upon and viewed as poor sportsmanship.

user106712
Reply : Mon 9th Apr 2012 16:50

Adam Scott won't use his long putter to measure a drop as he doesn't believe it's fair to players who don't have one. It really should come under the "unfair advantage" rule.

user410273
Reply : Mon 9th Apr 2012 19:38

Whilst I agree with the apparent unfairness of using the broomhandle for measuring a drop I actually think its not the player's 'fault' that others have chosen not to put one in their bag... I guess on this one I'm a fence sitter and don't really care.

user77012
Reply : Mon 9th Apr 2012 19:58

I have more of a problem with people using broom handle putters,just doesn't seem like golf imo.

user355541
Reply : Mon 9th Apr 2012 20:21

What rule of golf is the "unfair advantage" rule?

Not only can he use his long putter to measure but any of his fellow competitors can borrow it to measure.

user77012
Reply : Mon 9th Apr 2012 20:39

not aware of that one James are you sure thats correct.?

user355541
Reply : Mon 9th Apr 2012 21:11

Stand corrected - he can only use a fellow-competitor's club if he would have achieved the same outcome with one of his own clubs.

Last edit : Mon 9th Apr 2012 21:19
user40826
Reply : Tue 10th Apr 2012 09:18

Hold on, isn't it supposed to be the club you are going to play your next shot with?  If you're 150 yards from the green, you'd pick up your 8 iron and measure with that - surely, you wouldn't be using your driver or putter for your next shot?

Althought he professionals seem to be able to use their drivers?

user355541
Reply : Tue 10th Apr 2012 17:14

You can use any of your 14 clubs for measuring for a drop.

user38216
Reply : Tue 10th Apr 2012 18:30

Correct James, many people incorrectly think its the club you are going to play next but what if you change your mind after dropping.  Always use the driver and dont forget to mark!

user356537
Reply : Tue 10th Apr 2012 18:49

Chris, if you are taking relief from GUR or an immovable obstruction (i.e. a free drop) you have to use the appropriate club to decide if you are entitled to a drop in the first instance.  So, for example, let's say you are on the side of a green but have a really bad lie.  There is a sprinkler head that doesn't interfere with your stance if you use a wedge or a 7 iron to play the shot but it would if you used a driver.  In these circumstances you would not be entitled to a drop because it would be unreasonable to claim that you would use a driver from just off the green to play a delicate chip.

However, once you have established that you are entitled to a drop any club may be used to measure the drop.  Also, having taken relief, you are not then tied to using the club that you said you would have used for the original shot.

I hope that makes sense.

Richard

Last edit : Tue 10th Apr 2012 18:50

The Forums have now moved to a new version

We have now moved the forum to a new and improved system which provides more functionality plus provides easier access from desktop, tablets and smart phone devices.

Click here to view the new forum & register for free.

Scroll to top