Gear | Tour | Industry Insider

Tuition:

Video Library | Tuition Sections

Community:

Join | Log In | Help | Useful Links

New Forum System - click here to visit our new & improved forum system >>>

buying irons

Posted by: user404114 | Sun 8th Apr 2012 11:29 | Last Reply

i am a golfer who ranges between a 16 and currently a 21 handicapper and am looking to buy a set of irons. i have about £800 to spend and have tried a few sets but none really stood out has anyone got any suggestions on what clubs to buy?

re: buying irons
user24437
Reply : Sun 8th Apr 2012 12:26

I know I'll get shot down in flames here Andy, but you could always do what I did in your position and go to a custom club fitter (I'll PM details if you're interested).  OK, I didn't end up with a big name brand, but actually got a set of custom built clubs using kit that suited me for less than some of the well known names.  I've got a set of XKR400 Maraging heads, Nippon NS Pro 950 R shafts set up for my loft, lie and weight, got several tweeks after I'd used them and all for about £100 less than the equivalent off the shelf set.

Of course, if you want to go with the hype of having the 'same' clubs that the pro's use...

re: buying irons
user78137
Reply : Wed 11th Apr 2012 19:59

Hi Andy

Your handicap is not showing? This does help as the better you are reduces the kind of club best for you.

I recommend either your local professional or even american golf. I would certainly agree with Tim, it is immportant to get them fitted to you, after all we are all different, so surely we can't all use the same clubs!

£800 should get you a top set of clubs. Looks, well there's hype, but I always think looks can also boost your confidence. Again everyone is different. it all depends on how you feel!

Go big say Ping, Callaway, Taylor made. or cheaper it doesn't matter that much as long as you feel comfortable.

I would recommend having a few possible choices, also some prices just tomake sure you don't get ripped.

It's a bit like trying to find the perfect woman, lol you think you have her like me, next thing you might not like her anymore. he, he.

I wish you luck, but get some professional help from a reputable shop/golf club.

The Forums have now moved to a new version

We have now moved the forum to a new and improved system which provides more functionality plus provides easier access from desktop, tablets and smart phone devices.

Click here to view the new forum & register for free.

Scroll to top