Gear | Tour | Industry Insider

Tuition:

Video Library | Tuition Sections

Community:

Join | Log In | Help | Useful Links

New Forum System - click here to visit our new & improved forum system >>>

2 stroke penalty

Posted by: user423503 | Fri 6th Apr 2012 10:35 | Last Reply

Hi all, i will try to explain this as best i can but i am looking for clarification on rules. i understand the rules of playing a provisional ball but its what happens if you dont play a provisional i need clearing up. so for example...I play a tee shot that goes wayward but i think can be found so i dont play a provisional. when i get to where the ball should be i cant find it. if i drop from this point is it a 2 stroke penalty or do i need to return to the teebox under stroke and distance penalty of 1 stroke?With friends i have played as 1 stroke from where i lost the ball but i think this doesnt seem to be fair or right.Any help would be appreciated.Thanks.

re: 2 stroke penalty
user38216
Reply : Fri 6th Apr 2012 11:26

Paul, in a social knock I would agree,otherwise its back to the tee.  Heres a tip to speed up play. If you a playng a tricky hole, take another ball just in case, and hit a prov if in doubt.

user20126 [FORUM MODERATOR]
Reply : Fri 6th Apr 2012 13:43

To be on the safe side I would always say "Play a provisional" just in case you don't find the first one.

Then this problem doesn't occur.

In a competition you would have to return to the tee and play your shot again.

If it's just a social game then you can drop a ball near to where you think your ball is and add two shots to your score.

Again, I'm not 100% certain about this.

Russ

user423503
Reply : Fri 6th Apr 2012 18:04

Thanks for your replies. Much appreciated.

After last week I will always play a provisional ball just in case.

user446732
Reply : Fri 6th Apr 2012 22:40

If it's just a social game then you can drop a ball near to where you think your ball is and add two shots to your score.

Of course if you choose to ignore the S&D rule you can choose to ignore all the other 33 also frownhttp://www.golfshake.com/scripts/ckeditor362/plugins/smiley/images/confused_smile.gif" title="frown" width="20" />

user38216
Reply : Sat 7th Apr 2012 17:45

DH true enough, but the words friendly, social, having a good time with friends involves a bit of give and take.

user355541
Reply : Sat 7th Apr 2012 21:34

But, how many players submit scores without applying the rules?

user356537
Reply : Sun 8th Apr 2012 09:00

I have never played a social game where you just drop the ball.  Mind you, as we always a few quid on 'social' games you can't ignore the rules.  In my view, golf should always be played to the rules of the game otherwise people never learn them properly.  How many times do you see people removing leaves from a bunker before playing???

Richard

user446732
Reply : Sun 8th Apr 2012 09:11

Just so.

Bad habits picked up in casual/social rounds (eg rolling the ball when taking a preferred lie, cleaning when asked to mark and lift not on the green) can be costly if there is a slight memory lapse.

A player in our Club Championship was DQd for rolling his ball a couple of times when identifying it and not recording the penalties. He 'didn't know' because he had never been pulled up in social play.

user52922
Reply : Sun 8th Apr 2012 10:36

One cannot agree to waive a rule of golf. Why bother to play the game if one does not respect the rules.

user38216
Reply : Sun 8th Apr 2012 10:40

Richard/DH, thats fair enough. I too am a member of a good club, play in comps and i'm not in the habit of dropping balls.  However, if one of my friends has travelled a long way to meet up and have a knock, probably only having played once in the last six months I'm going to cut him some slack as he's never likely to play in a comp and I want him to enjoy the day!!  If im making him take 3,5,7 off the tee etc its not going too be much fun for anyone!

user202037 [FORUM MODERATOR]
Reply : Sun 8th Apr 2012 13:51

I think that in a case like this, if both parties KNOW it is an incorrect proceedure and will not effect anyone else it is OK.

Having fun with friends can be played under any Rules, but enter a Comp and it is strictly by The Rules.

The worst thing I see in Medals is 'Gimmies' between friends who play everyday. You tell them and they say they didn't realise they were doing it.

TheLyth

user361385
Reply : Tue 10th Apr 2012 17:28

How can you enjoy a game of golf if you dont play to the rules, He can play 3 off the tee and loose that ball to, take 5 off the tee and go out of bounds. Play the game to the rules and enjoy the game. Rules are their to help you understand the game. Get your wife to explain the offside rule. ha ha.

The Forums have now moved to a new version

We have now moved the forum to a new and improved system which provides more functionality plus provides easier access from desktop, tablets and smart phone devices.

Click here to view the new forum & register for free.

Scroll to top