Gear | Tour | Industry Insider

Tuition:

Video Library | Tuition Sections

Community:

Join | Log In | Help | Useful Links

New Forum System - click here to visit our new & improved forum system >>>

Those days when you HATE golf

Posted by: user338942 | Thu 5th Apr 2012 20:31 | Last Reply

So last Wednesday broke 80 for the first time, was smiling for days and full beans. 

Roll up at Slaley Hall on Saturday and hack my way to 103! .......ONE HUNDREAD AND THREE!!!!  

No reason why. No change to my approach to the game at all, other than I was excited to play a cracking course while in form.   As a result I've had a week off even thinking about golf (and also in a bit of a huff about it)  but tomorrow I'll feel like I'll be starting from scratch again, muinus the confidence I'd built.   

I guess that is just the way of the game though.  Fingers I cure the shanks at the range before my round tomorrow!!!

re: Those days when you HATE golf
user77012
Reply : Fri 6th Apr 2012 09:03

Dave , the old I've cracked it feeling (been there as most have). You probably spent the whole round thinking of your last round and trying to beat it. When it wasn't going to plan you probably tried harder to chase a score thus adding unnecassary pressue.

You can never beat golf thats the attraction , If you had a rubics cube and you'd mastered it you would'nt still be playing it ,right?

Even If you you had a hole in one on every hole , someone would say bet you can't do that next week !

.Remember  Time and Time again when a pro shoots a 62 he struggles to make 72 the following round and that's thier job 

Put the 103 in the bin and enjoy the breaking 80 start smiling again it's just a blip

Good luck

Last edit : Fri 6th Apr 2012 09:41
user410273
Reply : Fri 6th Apr 2012 09:37

I've hated the game for almost 45yrs. Golf is like having a second wife; its fickle, contrary and usually gives you 5mins of pleasure and hours of pain... but we all love it.

You can only affect your next shot, not your last... look forward not back.

user38216
Reply : Fri 6th Apr 2012 11:28

Love it Brian, exactly right!!  I don't think hate is the right word, bitter respect maybe?

user16106
Reply : Mon 9th Apr 2012 22:39

Dave  only 3 bad holes really. Apart from that it was tidy-ish. You wil bounce back. I havnt played for 3 weeks.

Dave CAC handed Geordie.

user78137
Reply : Wed 11th Apr 2012 19:48

hi Dave

This is the beautiful game of golf mate. It can really get under your skin if you let it.

That's the thing if you can just let it go when it wants to bite, it won't affect you as much. As things get worse on the day, we grip too tight, try too hard, slowly getting worked up. never gona happen in this game.

Here's an example. I have a rotten bad back & can only play a little these days. First round for 4 months started off shot 48. actually was quite happy cos driver was on fire, just irons & putting a bit off.

Back nine seven pars later shot 39.  This is on the same day, how can that be. Bloody game!

Went out last weekend shot 50 front pretty poor, then back 42 not bad. One day, just one day I will have a game to dream of.  That is why we carry on, in there soewhere you know you can improve & just wait for the day it all comes together.

The only problem is if it happens, the next five years you'll be cursing why can't I be that good again?

Thats why we love it. It's the only game I've ever played where one minute your as good as a top professional, the next you may as well use your mrs handbag as a club!

The Forums have now moved to a new version

We have now moved the forum to a new and improved system which provides more functionality plus provides easier access from desktop, tablets and smart phone devices.

Click here to view the new forum & register for free.

Scroll to top