Gear | Tour | Industry Insider

Tuition:

Video Library | Tuition Sections

Community:

Join | Log In | Help | Useful Links

New Forum System - click here to visit our new & improved forum system >>>

competition problems.

Posted by: user437159 | Wed 4th Apr 2012 21:07 | Last Reply

what's wrong? thats my question. same course, same clubs, same routines, similar people, same club - so what's different? why dont i play  well under competition? if its a club comp, or last weeks junior masters. i just can't keep it going under a comp. for example last week. 24 over par - that, in my opinion is awful, but a pressure free practice round i average about 15 over. anyone experienced my pain?

re: competition problems.
user20126 [FORUM MODERATOR]
Reply : Wed 4th Apr 2012 22:28

It's probably the pressure of playing in a competition.

You might not feel it but it's there.

One of the harderst things to do it to take your practice round into a competitie round.

Try and relax and don't aim to hit every shot perfectly.

Russ

user78137
Reply : Wed 4th Apr 2012 22:30

We've al been there mate.

Its all about trying too much! When you put pressure on yourself simple things turn into pythagoras theorum.

Next competition you enter try these small tips, hopefully they will help you.

Try not to grip the club like someone trying to steal it. relax your arms, don't think  300m yards thrash, think 200 yards easy Els style.

Prior to each shot concentrate on deep breaths, then always try to strike the ball while exhaling, gently let the air out of your lungs.

It's very difficult to give it too much when you do this. Play well within yourself.  If you hit seven iron 150.  Use a six, this way you will hit with less tension.

Years ago when I could hit the ball a country mile I played against an 80 year old bloke who only hit maybe 150 max. I thought I would show him who's the daddy.

He totally whipped my arse.  He just plodded along, straight as a die & single putted four out of five.

Lesson learnt.  I am 5ft 5, a short arrse, I play in comps with guys twice my height & build, I watch them smash it.  then I use a very smooth swing, more often than not keeping up with there distance, but also more often than not straight down the middle.

Just take it easy, let me know if my tips work.

Cheers

David

user52922
Reply : Thu 5th Apr 2012 10:43

All , nice positive thoughts, David and should help immensely, but I am from the school that honestly believes that pressure is self induced and is prevalent in some more than others.

There have been many books written on this subject, but books are not going to stop your inner beliefs or thoughts.

The answer lies within the person themselves and each of us will cope with it differently.

I might add. the better the abilit,y the less pressure.

Last edit : Thu 5th Apr 2012 18:28
user202037 [FORUM MODERATOR]
Reply : Thu 5th Apr 2012 12:21

Today we hear the saying "failure is not an option". This adds pressure. The main thing is NOT TO BE AFRAID OF FAILURE, BELIEVE, AND COMMIT TO EVERY SHOT.

The only pressure then left is the clear thinking needed, and that is the hardest to overcome.

TheLyth

The Forums have now moved to a new version

We have now moved the forum to a new and improved system which provides more functionality plus provides easier access from desktop, tablets and smart phone devices.

Click here to view the new forum & register for free.

Scroll to top