Gear | Tour | Industry Insider

Tuition:

Video Library | Tuition Sections

Community:

Join | Log In | Help | Useful Links

New Forum System - click here to visit our new & improved forum system >>>

pre-shot routine vs slow play.

Posted by: user437159 | Tue 3rd Apr 2012 20:07 | Last Reply

how long should a pre shot routine be, not to be counted as slow play? for example i was sad enough before to time mine - it is exactly 17 seconds long. ive played with people who must take at least 2 minutes, but is it slow play or just being precise?

re: pre-shot routine vs slow play.
user417395
Reply : Tue 3rd Apr 2012 20:50

i suppose it depends how easy you as a player find your set up, mine is quite precise but is no longer than a min. Alan i play with has one of the most natural swings i know and he takes just seconds.

user127691
Reply : Wed 4th Apr 2012 08:27

A pre-shot routing can be as long as it wants for me, as long as they start it as early on a possible and are ready to hit the ball as soon as possible. Slow play comes as much from people dawdling between holes marking crds when it's their turn on the tee, checking course planners etc slowley when they are to tee off and not allowing people to play out of turn while you mess about. 

user8 [FORUM MODERATOR]
Reply : Wed 4th Apr 2012 08:53

I'm with Gary on this, so long as it doesn't effect anyone else I don't care.

It is a bug bear of mine though watching some players take umpteen practice swings from behind the ball, at the side of the ball, then test the wind, then line up the shot and then .................  duff it 20 yards

user369251
Reply : Wed 4th Apr 2012 13:26

Darren I feel your pain. I sometimes play with a guy who has half a dozen practice swings, comments on them, then proceeds to duff the ball nowhere. His stance, grip, shoulder position and swing plane are all horribly out of position, but he won't take any advice on board. Very frustrating.

user20126 [FORUM MODERATOR]
Reply : Wed 4th Apr 2012 17:21

If you have a protracted pre-shot routine then I'd suggest starting your routine before the person who is taking his shot.

As long as you don't put him/her off their swing I see nothing wrong with that.

I've played with people who would stop halfway through their pre-shot routine and then start again from the beginning, just because something had put them off, or they had heard a noise.

The problem was they had been told by their club pro to do that!

I don't consider myself slow at taking my shot.

My routine starts as I walk upto the golf ball.

Then a couple of practice swings and address the ball, take a deep breath and swing the club.

Russ

The Forums have now moved to a new version

We have now moved the forum to a new and improved system which provides more functionality plus provides easier access from desktop, tablets and smart phone devices.

Click here to view the new forum & register for free.

Scroll to top