Gear | Tour | Industry Insider

Tuition:

Video Library | Tuition Sections

Community:

Join | Log In | Help | Useful Links

New Forum System - click here to visit our new & improved forum system >>>

first ever"golf society day "

Posted by: user455045 | Mon 2nd Apr 2012 10:40 | Last Reply

The time has come for me to play in a society day.High handicapper.................any advice . Etiquette etc?

re: first ever"golf society day "
user24437
Reply : Mon 2nd Apr 2012 11:22

Enjoy yourself.  You'll probably be wetting yourself on the first tee with all the experienced players lining up laughing and joking next to you, but just remember, no-one has ever died of embarrasement.  If you spank one down the fairway fair enough, if you scuff it, laugh it off.  We've all been there, we've all done it and it's just part of the game.  Remember you'll learn an awful lot playing with good golfers.

user11501
Reply : Mon 2nd Apr 2012 12:01

As no doubt you have Tim playing with me !!!!!

user455045
Reply : Mon 2nd Apr 2012 21:04

Thanks Tim

All I want to do is " Get off the 1st Tee "............ without making a rubbish shotcryinghttp://www.golfshake.com/scripts/ckeditor362/plugins/smiley/images/cry_smile.gif" title="crying" width="20" /> ......thats a great goa I think....................................l.......and then relax and enjoy the roundcoolhttp://www.golfshake.com/scripts/ckeditor362/plugins/smiley/images/shades_smile.gif" title="cool" width="20" />

user61256
Reply : Wed 4th Apr 2012 08:52

I do recall Tim playing a 'shot' with his eyes closed once. God knows where that idea came from.

Get yourself out there John, it's a laugh and remember there's always someone worse than you, i am probably that one!!

user455045
Reply : Wed 4th Apr 2012 20:59

Well not long now ..........................i have cleaned up my ancient bag and clubs,pressed my shirt,and jacket, paid my fee . Can you see me on the first tee  Oh  that first glorious

drive .............................or ?????? LOL

Watch this space.

user20126 [FORUM MODERATOR]
Reply : Wed 4th Apr 2012 22:20

For your first golf soceity day I would suggest the following......

Arrive late, after all you don't want to be hanging about getting nervous.

Sort the money out after you've played, that way you can refuse to pay if you don't play well.

Don't bother shaking hands with the other players in your group.  It saves time.

Don't wait for your turn, just tee your ball up and hit it.

And finally, enjoy yourself!     

Russ

user455045
Reply : Fri 6th Apr 2012 19:39

Just in case anyone was following this thread. I had a great day. From the moment I turned up I was made very welcome,which is always a good thing. I was intoduced to all I was playing with and they were gracious with their experience and |I never felt out of place . We played stapleford rules and I ended up with 21 points. A great day and I look forward to the next one. One point I would make to anyone in my situation is to play games where you stick to the " Golf " rules properly.....this definately focussed my play.enlightenedhttp://www.golfshake.com/scripts/ckeditor362/plugins/smiley/images/lightbulb.gif" title="enlightened" width="20" /> Roll on the next proper comp.

user24437
Reply : Sat 7th Apr 2012 00:47

See John, not so bad after all was it?  Most (unfortunately not all) societies I've played with are just a friendly bunch who like to get out and play and have a bit of fun.

And not a bad score either (just don't turn up and shoot 44 points and walk off with all the prizes - that's really annoying!)

The Forums have now moved to a new version

We have now moved the forum to a new and improved system which provides more functionality plus provides easier access from desktop, tablets and smart phone devices.

Click here to view the new forum & register for free.

Scroll to top