Tee Times | Search | Reviews

News:

Gear | Tour | Industry Insider

Tuition:

Video Library | Tuition Sections

Community:

Join | Log In | Help | Useful Links

New Forum System - click here to visit our new & improved forum system >>>

The Brabazon - I took on the 10th........

Posted by: user441440 | Sun 1st Apr 2012 18:09 | Last Reply

And got on the green in 1 . To date the best golf shot I have ever hit and unless I get my first hole in one at some point in the future it will remain that way.

I decided to hit driver and aimed for the trees to the left of the green hoping I could hit my natural fade. As soon as it came off the club face and I saw the initial trajectory I knew I was in with a shout. As the ball headed over the water in front of the green there were a few shouts of "Go on" from the group behind. The pin was cut in the narrowest part of the green dead centre. My ball landed pin high 6 or 7 feet to the left of the flag and released another 25 ft. Up the green. I have never felt a rush like it on a golf course before,it was amazing. I proceeded to putt out for a birdie and walk off the 10th hole on The Brabazon a very happy man!

The 10th set me up for a gret back 9, I was level par for the previous 8 holes on the 18th tee and then proceeded to take a double bogey after finding the sand with my drive . Not a great way to finish but I was extremely happy to shoot 82 after a shocking day on the Derby yesterday.Anyone fancy teaming up with me for the Brabazon Challenge 2012?!:

http://www.thebelfry.co.uk/index.cfm/section/info/display/6/content/brabazon_challenge/brabazon_challenge.htm

Last edit : Sun 1st Apr 2012 18:26
re: The Brabazon - I took on the 10th........
user449768
Reply : Sun 1st Apr 2012 20:07

Congratulations on the shot. , Im just back myself from the belfry though we played the PGA yesterday and the Derby today. Fantastic weather today and we wished we had booked the Brabazon as it looked in great shape. We were out having a drink watching people take it on 

user441440
Reply : Sun 1st Apr 2012 20:18

Hi Mike, the Brabazon was in fantastic condition and we could not of asked for better weather today. What did you think of the PGA? I did not rate the Derby and won't be paying to play there again, but some of the PGA holes looked really interesting.

Last edit : Sun 1st Apr 2012 20:41
user449768
Reply : Sun 1st Apr 2012 20:31

The PGA had some interesting holes but the greens werent fantastic, infact the derby greens today were better. Some great holes though mark does feel like a links course. The marshall said they have been working on the greens and hope to be back on form in a month or so. I still favour the Brab though.  I felt the Derby was in good condition and enjoyed it, what didnt you like about it?

Last edit : Sun 1st Apr 2012 20:45
user441440
Reply : Sun 1st Apr 2012 20:46

I must admit the greens on the Derby were good yesterday. I found it a little uninteresting, the power lines were a bit of a eyesore ( the fact I hit one had nothing to do with it!) and it got quite close to the busy road on a couple of holes. To be honest I did not play very well which definitely did not help. The course can not be blamed for that. One thing we found to be excellent up at the Belfry was the space between groups and the speed of play. We were not caught / held up on either course. Maybe we just got lucky but I think the marshals up there do a great job.

user449768
Reply : Sun 1st Apr 2012 21:15

I agree on the marshalling mark. We were held up on the PGA on the saturday by a group of irish lads. The marshall asked them to speed up on the front nine but from the 9th,10th and 11th it was getting every hole we had to wait and when he counted 1 guy having 18 shots on one hole he asked them to let us through or miss a hole. They duely let us through when the refreshment cart turnt up so they were happy, but no hold ups today thankfully. The greens were like lightening today and my putting really let me down but we all really enjoyed it and were looking to book another weekend soon. 

Last edit : Sun 1st Apr 2012 21:16
user8 [FORUM MODERATOR]
Reply : Mon 2nd Apr 2012 08:38

Well done Mark, great shot.  I've played it twice but never gone for it!

Presume you've seen this about the recent hole in one on the 10th

http://www.golfshake.com/news/view/3700/Teenager_Makes_History_With_First_Ever_Hole_in_One_on_Brabazon_10th.html

user61256
Reply : Mon 2nd Apr 2012 09:13

Well done Mark. i am there on Friday 13th, the date itself says i am doomed in my quest to hit the 10th green. Will give it a crack though!

user235379
Reply : Mon 2nd Apr 2012 11:54

i have taken on the 10th only on 2 out of the 3 times i've played it, picture it if you will, the wind was blowing from over my left shoulder and i was feeling lucky, i could hear the faint sound of a startled blackbird in the distance, a member of the green staff was near by cutting some grass..semi rough i think. One of my buddies was sipping a warm drink from the half way house and keeping his hands warm whilst holding the cup. I chose an NXT TOUR instead of my prov1, i knew i was giving up a little control but thought i needed the few extra yards, i sent it out to the left and the wind did it's thing, the ball landed just short and left of the green and duely bounced onto the velvet like putting surface, i hit the first put 18 inches short and knocked in the birdie put,

the second time i went in the right hand bunker

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TcbI3YGyURI

user38216
Reply : Mon 2nd Apr 2012 17:15

I took a swipe at it and ended up in the drink.

user441440
Reply : Mon 2nd Apr 2012 17:59

Darren yes I saw the article at the end of last week, the marshals were still talking about it up there. John you should definitely give it a go.

user33026 [FORUM MODERATOR]
Reply : Mon 2nd Apr 2012 21:04

I took it on both times I played it (you just have to don't you).  Failed miserably both times. 

First time left me by the trees on the right with no view of the green.  Tried (like a mug) to go over them.  Cleared the trees but sacrificed too much distance for the height and ended up in the brook.  

Second time I pulled it and ended up pin high on the fairway.  Left my chip short into the brook

There's a theme here....

user23669
Reply : Mon 2nd Apr 2012 22:11

I have played the Brab twice & gone for it both times as I won't have the chance to play it often ( & you have to don't you?)

The 1st time hit the middle of the green but rolled away & 3 putted. The 2nd time I put it in the trees by the 16th green. I had to chip it in line with the ridge of the bank as the pin was blocked by the trees, The chipped went directly to where I wanted it to go using the bank to roll to the left to 2 putt for another par.

After my first attempt & reaching the green I nearly felt like walking off with a wide smile on my face but an apalling score card. Happy days

user26342
Reply : Tue 3rd Apr 2012 12:59

I bottled it & played 2 6 irons to pin high & lipped out for birdie. You have to know your limitatons & I'd take a par on that hole every time

user26342
Reply : Tue 3rd Apr 2012 12:59

I bottled it & played 2 6 irons to pin high & lipped out for birdie. You have to know your limitatons & I'd take a par on that hole every time

user61256
Reply : Wed 4th Apr 2012 09:00

Never mind my limitations, head down and crack the little bugger onto the green, 3 putts and off :-)

user61256
Reply : Mon 4th Jun 2012 18:51

Well i played The Brabazon course today and successfully drove the 10th hole, left myself a long long eagle putt but i managed the task no problem :-)

The Forums have now moved to a new version

We have now moved the forum to a new and improved system which provides more functionality plus provides easier access from desktop, tablets and smart phone devices.

Click here to view the new forum & register for free.

Scroll to top