Gear | Tour | Industry Insider

Tuition:

Video Library | Tuition Sections

Community:

Join | Log In | Help | Useful Links

New Forum System - click here to visit our new & improved forum system >>>

Does this make sense? change to steel from graphite

Posted by: user85262 | Tue 27th Mar 2012 09:22 | Last Reply

Just wondered if anyone maybe able to enlighten me as to what they think about the following.

When i took up golf 4 or 5 years ago I was advised to get graphite shafts (to suit my slower swing)

I got Taylormade CGB irons and have been using them ever since.  My ball flight has always tended to be a fade  (turning sometimes into a slice with driver)

I had lesson to try to improve my ball flight and my distance  (one comment that the pro made was that I could really do with longer than standard shafts due to my height) 

Anyway, a chap at the golf club is selling a set of Taylormade irons an inch longer than standard and they are steel shafts that he said I can try out before buying from him if i wanted to.

To be honest I wasnt very optimistic about them but when I tried them last night the contact I was getting felt much more solid and the distance I was getting was much improved from my graphite shafted irons.  The bad shots with the steel tended to be slightly left of target (but flight was straight) and even a slight draw on some that ive never been able to do.  Even the bad shots to the left I was still gettiing a really nice solid contact so I think this will be something to do with my set up or alignment.

Previously my bad shots always would be a frustrating weak shot perhaps starting straight and ending right of target.

Can anyone suggest why this maybe  that I would be getting more distance with steel as everything i have read would suggest the opposite of this happening. I thought that Graphite would be helping me to get more distance but not in my case.

My swing speed will be faster than when I first started playing but not a very fast swing.

Any ideas why this maybe would be appreciated.

re: Does this make sense? change to steel from graphite
user99350
Reply : Tue 27th Mar 2012 13:06

Well John, it sounds to me like you've more or less decided to get them. It would be interesting to know what type of shafts the steel ones are. There was a time (thirty years ago) when it was generally considered that graphites would give you more distance but I think you can forget that these days as technology has moved on with much more variety with steel sharts anyway so better to consider the shaft itself, as a rule of thumb the whippier (softer) the shaft the more distance you'll acheive over a stiffer (harder) shaft though the stiffer the shaft does help accuracy. I have a set of taylor mades with Dynamic gold shafts, the sand iron goes 20-25 yds further than my Nike SV tour 56* wedge simply because of the flex in the dynamic gold. Also it should not be overlooked that these graphite shafts of yours are knocking on and wont be working optimum. Also the longer shaftsin the Taylormades  will of course increase club head speed (all other things being equal) and may be the cause of your extra distance.

Sounds to me that you should buy them.

Last edit : Tue 27th Mar 2012 13:12
user389585
Reply : Tue 27th Mar 2012 14:15

i feel more confidence with steel shaft last week we try new tm irons (they send sample to proshop) and not work for me. i dont feel the club in my hand .

i use mizuno jpx 800pro irons with dynaic gold shaf

user16106
Reply : Tue 27th Mar 2012 21:54

John, Ive just changed from steel to graphite shafts. Wilson fatshaft 4s to Callaway x-12 graphites. I seem to have lost about a club length but am hitting much better and a bit higher. This is also coupled with me doing a lot of research on better ball stiking. It seems to be working but I dont know if graphites are best suited for me?

Dave CAC handed Geordie.

Last edit : Tue 27th Mar 2012 21:56
user389585
Reply : Wed 28th Mar 2012 20:53

try use mizuno dna to find yours shift.

user356537
Reply : Wed 28th Mar 2012 22:02

John, to a certain extent its down to basic physics.  If the clubs you tried are an inch longer than standard you will hit the ball further as you will be generating more clubhead speed.  If you are taller than average they should be better suited so no real downside.

Of course, garphite shafts an inch longer than standard might be even better!

Graphite shafts will, generally, generate more clubhead speed but too much can cause problems with controlling direction.  It can be a very fine line between steel and graphite.

Richard

Last edit : Wed 28th Mar 2012 22:06
user85262
Reply : Thu 29th Mar 2012 08:30

went to the range and tried both sets of clubs together last night and definitely the steel shafts better for me.  Consistantly better contact and more distance.  (the massive difference is the ball flight)

after making sure that i am starting my downswing with the lower body (not throwing the club at the ball from the top) it straightened up and stopped me hitting left of target

The Forums have now moved to a new version

We have now moved the forum to a new and improved system which provides more functionality plus provides easier access from desktop, tablets and smart phone devices.

Click here to view the new forum & register for free.

Scroll to top