Gear | Tour | Industry Insider

Tuition:

Video Library | Tuition Sections

Community:

Join | Log In | Help | Useful Links

New Forum System - click here to visit our new & improved forum system >>>

And for all those doubters!!!!!!!!!!

Posted by: user127691 | Mon 26th Mar 2012 12:46 | Last Reply

Tigers back and got to be the favourite to win again at the masters. I think his return is a massive boost for the sport the guy transcends the game and is a sporting icon. Love him or hate him the Masters is only going to be more interesting with him in the mix.

Last edit : Mon 26th Mar 2012 12:47
re: And for all those doubters!!!!!!!!!!
user369251
Reply : Mon 26th Mar 2012 13:57

Agreed Gary. For me, he's the greatest the game has seen, and when he's in full flight, there's very few finer sights on a course. I truly hope the Masters is something special, where all the top players hold it together for 4 days.

user338942
Reply : Mon 26th Mar 2012 14:11

I also agree.  Even with the last 2/3 years hes won nearly 25% of all comps he has entered. No one else out there could match that in season nevermind in a career.   He'll be number 1 again at some point

user16106
Reply : Mon 26th Mar 2012 19:18

Not one to put a dampener on things but as the Arnold palmer was invatation only and #1,2,3,4,5,6,9 and 10 in the world didnt bother to turn up. I know you can only beat who is in front of you, so well done to Tiger but he hardly beat the best in the best in the world. I think the golfing world is a better place with a Tiger Woods on top form. I honestly think this is going to be the best masters in my memory. Any player from 20 or more couldnt be discounted from having a good chance. There is also the others who you dodnt think have a good chance. Looking forward to it.

Dave CAC handed Geordie.

Last edit : Mon 26th Mar 2012 19:20
user99350
Reply : Tue 27th Mar 2012 08:40

I think we've seen the best of Tiger. What would have happened had he not had the media sledgehammer and character assasination that started his descent.? Agreed he has 'come back' somewhat but I can't see him going back to the height of his glory. 

user26342
Reply : Tue 27th Mar 2012 10:52

I agree with Dave, he won but against a weakened field. Nothing against Robert Rock but even he managed to hold off Tiger when they went head to head.

user99350
Reply : Tue 27th Mar 2012 13:33

Phil, you cannot excuse the media, all this horsesh*t about being in the public interest doesn't wash, they just want to sell papers or achieve ratings and we're just as despicable if we buy their beneath contempt publications. Fact is if it was joe public no media would give a chuff as there's no money to be gained. Sorry but they must take the lions share of the blame for his downfall and the game has lost a great talent.

user26342
Reply : Tue 27th Mar 2012 14:42

Patrick,

The media gave him all the good press when he was at his peak & people bought those stories. Tiger made money from some of those publications. The public pay to watch him, we pay for Nike gear which sponsors tiger so people can't complain when they report the bad press about him which he bought upon himself.

if tiger was joe public he wouldn't get the media but at the same time he wouldn't have got where he got with all his millions.

user77012
Reply : Tue 27th Mar 2012 21:16

Good post DP! spot on I can't stand all this blowing up Tigers backside Twitter is littered with it  PGA, Golf channel, US reporters, there are other players. Tiger lovers remind me of Apple product lovers nothing else is any good, and for the record I like Tiger. Tiger congrats that was marginally better than winning your own event.

user127691
Reply : Thu 29th Mar 2012 11:08

I remeber a wager I made with a poster on here that Westwood would never win a major, so far I'm doing OK and can see no reason to doubt i'll keep that tenner.

I wonder if your brave enough to wage another tenner against Tiger winning a major this year? Tiger learned to putt over the weekend and unfortunatly for the rest of the golfing world he is now actually hitting fairways with his driver. Not saying Tiger will be the force he once was time out, and a dodgy knee will put pay to that. 

Tiger may have beaten a weakened feild but that's how Westwood and Donald became world number one's, neither of them have ever won any tournaments of any note, ever.

Last edit : Thu 29th Mar 2012 11:29
user26342
Reply : Thu 29th Mar 2012 13:14

Gary,

"Tiger may have beaten a weakened feild but that's how Westwood and Donald became world number one's"

I think you'll find that the tournamants that Westwood & Donald won had some very strong fields, including Tiger so how can you call then weakened fields?

user26342
Reply : Thu 29th Mar 2012 13:14

Gary,

"Tiger may have beaten a weakened feild but that's how Westwood and Donald became world number one's"

I think you'll find that the tournamants that Westwood & Donald won had some very strong fields, including Tiger so how can you call then weakened fields?

user127691
Reply : Thu 29th Mar 2012 16:12

Look don't get me wrong I'm not trying to say Westwood and Donald are not very, very good golfers. Elite preformers in the world consitantly there or there about all the time, but I don't care what anyone tries to tell me Tiger on good form over 72 holes beats those 2 hand down every time.

For me the likes of Michelson(not so much at the minute), TIger and Rory are head and shoulders above the likes of Westwood and Donald. All because they have the ability on their day to tear any golf course apart Waetwood and DOnald just can't do that. Just ask Mr Wetswood would he prefer to have 4 pretty good rounds like he and Donald generally do or 3 average and 1 blinder and storm from behind and steal victory on the last day. The difference between good and great is the ability to shoot low 60's on the big occasions I just don't think those 2 have it in their lockers.

user77012
Reply : Thu 29th Mar 2012 20:52

Disney Classic: Luke Donald in the lolly after superb victory in Florida

Luke Donald

BRITAIN'S Luke Donald clinched the PGA Tour money list title with a sensational victory at the Disney Classic in Florida last night.

World No.1 Donald put together the round of a lifetime to win the final event on the US Tour and become the first European to finish top of the America's money list.

The 33-year-old Englishman did it in dramatic circumstances.

Paired alongside the man he was trying to catch, Webb Simpson, Donald destroyed him over the back nine with a run of six super birdies in a row.

His round of eight-under 64 gave him a total of 271 and a two-shot win over Justin Leonard.

The s531,000 Disney Classic cheque took him on to a total of s4.19million US winnings this year, with Webb Simpson finishing on s3.98m. Donald also picked up the Arnold Palmer Trophy as the season's No.1 golfer.

His triumph means Donald is on course to become the first player to top the money lists in both the United States and Europe.

In Europe he leads by over s1million but there are eight events left and he will be missing some because wife Diane is expecting their second child.

Donald had to win or finish second in Florida to top the money list.

It did not look a certainty with eight holes to play as Donald, Simpson, Billy Mayfair and Leonard trailed 15-under-par tournament leader Kevin Chappell by one stroke. Donald then started playing majestic golf with consecutive birdies on 10, 11, 12, 13, 14 and 15. He took sole lead of the tournament on the 14th and strengthened his position with an extraordinary 45-foot putt on 15.

His form appeared to put Simpson off his stroke.

The 26-year-old American, three under for the front nine, found himself making pars rather than birdies down the home stretch.

Meanwhile, Donald parred 16, 17 and 18 for his 64.

user26342
Reply : Thu 29th Mar 2012 21:26

Dave, you beat me to it!

im not saying tiger is not a great golfer but I just don't think that he will ever dominate the game like he did before, if he did then I think the likes of local lad Robert rock would have crumbled under the pressure.

user127691
Reply : Fri 30th Mar 2012 14:34

Your talking about TIger weeks ago and Tiger now, Robert Rock wouldn't crumble because TIger couldn't chip putt or hadn't got control of his swing. I'd like to see how Robert Rock got on if they were playing this week. I'm hoping for a very good and very competative masters with a group of players all in contention, I just think if Tiger turns up his only real British competition is Rory, Luke and Westy will be picking up their scraps probably both with comfortable top 10 finishes but no Green Jacket. If i'm wrong I won't be upset, glad infact to see these guys getting a good result. I just think a paper rank of No.1 means nothing when half the world can see who really is the greatest golfer on the planet.

user26342
Reply : Fri 6th Apr 2012 08:52

Wished I'd took that bet now, with tigers driving all over  place I don't fancy his chances.

user24437
Reply : Sat 7th Apr 2012 00:32

Hmm, a pretty poor round from Tiger - but for a few lucky breaks through the tress and the usual help from the gallery he wouldn't have even made the cut.  More reminiscent of my round today than one from a pro at the Masters...

user24437
Reply : Sat 7th Apr 2012 11:37

I wouldn't go quite as far as that Dave, I'm sure he's got it in him to win more majors.  It's just that he looks so uncomfortable with the swing that he's trying to build, it just doesn't look natural - and as one of the pundits said yesterday, 'he needs to go out and play golf, not think about his golf swing'.  

user24437
Reply : Sun 8th Apr 2012 20:26

Well that's not going to happen now!

I'm sorry Gary, but there's a great difference between fan loyalty and reality.  Maybe he'll be back for the next Major....

user77012
Reply : Sun 8th Apr 2012 21:12

Well Tigers back ....about 14 back , sad to see.

user26342
Reply : Mon 9th Apr 2012 11:06

I thought tigers display was a disgrace. Kicking clubs, swearing & throwing tantrums are not what great champions are about. You never saw jack or Tom display that kind of disrespect to the game over there years.

gary if you still want that bet that tiger won't win a major this year then I'll happily take your money off you.

user99350
Reply : Thu 12th Apr 2012 13:50

I forgot about this post, so not replying to Phil B and John F infers I agree with what they say. I don't.  I really cannot do with judging other people or taking any moral standpoint as to their personal choices (the media incites and promotes this and so perpetuates the increasingly 'dumbing down' society we now have. All I'm saying is that Tiger suffered from all the media, whether he deserved that is neither here nor there. The poor bugger looked in pain at the masters and the swearing and club throwing were obvious signs of a frustrated man.

user26342
Reply : Thu 12th Apr 2012 14:03

Patrick, You think Tiger was the only frustrated player out there?

I'm sure Westwood & Phil M would have been just as frustrated about there performances but I didn't see them displaying the kind of actions Tiger was.

Tiger has to accept the good with the bad regarding the press, just as all the other worldwide celebrities do, as it comes with there jobs.

user26342
Reply : Thu 12th Apr 2012 14:04

I'm sure Westwood & Phil M would have been just as frustrated about there performances but I didn't see them displaying the kind of actions Tiger was.

Tiger has to accept the good with the bad regarding the press, just as all the other worldwide celebrities do, as it comes with there jobs.

user26342
Reply : Thu 12th Apr 2012 14:04

user99350
Reply : Thu 12th Apr 2012 16:01
user99350
Reply : Thu 12th Apr 2012 16:12

Well Phil, a nice generalisation but I disagree. I'm not part of the God squad but if what you say is correct then wouldn't the world be a better place if we all aspired not to judge others. Anyway I'll leave it there because in my judgement you're no longer talking about golf (sorry couldn't resist that one).

user52922
Reply : Thu 12th Apr 2012 18:09

I was not aware that the forum was full of sanctimonious people who have been perfect their whole life, with no skeletons in the cupboard.

user24437
Reply : Thu 12th Apr 2012 18:14

No, it's just me John

user52922
Reply : Thu 12th Apr 2012 18:33

Goes without saying, Tim

The Forums have now moved to a new version

We have now moved the forum to a new and improved system which provides more functionality plus provides easier access from desktop, tablets and smart phone devices.

Click here to view the new forum & register for free.

Scroll to top