Tuition:

Video Library | Tuition Sections

Community:

Join | Log In | Help | Useful Links

New Forum System - click here to visit our new & improved forum system >>>

which ball?

Posted by: user250298 | Thu 22nd Mar 2012 20:39 | Last Reply

Hi guys,

I'm looking to move into playing one type of ball as oppose to playing whatever I have from the bunch I buy from classified ads!

Any suggestions for a high handicapper? I've been looking around myself and Callaway's Warbird and Sxrion Distance both seem to get good reviews both for price and how they play.

Any advice greatly appreciated.

re: which ball?
user33026 [FORUM MODERATOR]
Reply : Thu 22nd Mar 2012 21:17

Try a few, see what you like, stick with it.  The reviews are pretty irrelevant to be honest, it's all personal choice.  I would advise sticking to a two-piece in the first instance though

Not a lot of help I know

user430457
Reply : Thu 22nd Mar 2012 21:19

John,

like you i used to play anything i found, generally seemed to be Titleist but I found these quite hard so have experimented with Letters Swingmaster, Taylormade Noodles, Bridgestone e6, Srixon Soft Feel and Srixon AD333.

Out of these i now favour either of the Srixons - I saw the Softies in Sports Direct recently selling for about £14 for 12.

I did inherit a Warbird but while it went some distance it was horrible on the green, felt like i was hitting a tin can.

Hope this helps.

user449768
Reply : Thu 22nd Mar 2012 21:29

Ive only just started playing again so ive tried a few balls lately. I tried the bridgestone e6, noodles soft, but i settled on the nike pd soft. Flies well, very good feel around the greens and stops well, but i know  it will be more difficult when the greens have dried out in the summer 

user34817
Reply : Fri 23rd Mar 2012 07:55

I have always found the Srixon AD333 a very good all round ball.  I have also used the Noodle which seems to be pretty good too.

user430457
Reply : Fri 23rd Mar 2012 10:31

This might be of interest:

http://www.best4balls.com/chooser.php

user99350
Reply : Fri 23rd Mar 2012 13:33

John, all good advice above, with Chris Perry stating it in a nutshell but here's my twopenneth: you really don't need to be playing with pro V's so don't waste your money, unles of course you like them. Ideally you'll want an all round ball which you feel comfortable with for driving, around the greens and putting. Durability is a point not to overlook also, as you wont strike the ball 100% cleanly eveytime and those trees/walls wil mark your ball.  I'd also suggest that lake balls are ok for higher handicappers (me included) which can be bought same brand for half price.

user441440
Reply : Fri 23rd Mar 2012 14:13

Srixon AD333's for me. They don't cut up too much and feel nice from tee to green. I usually manage to get 3 dozen off eBay for £35 delivered.

user250298
Reply : Fri 23rd Mar 2012 19:55

cheers for all the advice guys, very much appreciated.

user451727
Reply : Sat 12th May 2012 21:55

Hi John,

I am not a very good golfer (28 handicap) but love the game. I never ever believed all the hype about different golf balls, a ball's a ball was my attitude. As I could not get back spin or get the ball to stop on approach shots I never looked further than cheap Dunlops or anything I cheap I could get my hands on. I have this year decided to take up a differing approach, bought some Mizuno clubs to replace my old cheap irons, and have also made a change to using Srixion distance balls. The clubs are great but I have definately noticed a difference using the Srixion balls. Chipping and pitching have improved as I can now feel a difference in the ball. It's hard to explain but I would recommend them.

user250298
Reply : Sun 13th May 2012 07:24

Hey Colin, I had the same thought myself this year and I've been trying the Bridgestone e6 ball for a few weeks now, also have the sxrion distance to test out too, so that I can chose a ball that suits with at least a little knowledge!

ive hit a few of the sxrions in the past and have always liked them. Got to say though at the minute the e6's seem a decent ball for the money, I get good distance out of them and they feel not bad around the greens. 

Cheers for replying to the post

The Forums have now moved to a new version

We have now moved the forum to a new and improved system which provides more functionality plus provides easier access from desktop, tablets and smart phone devices.

Click here to view the new forum & register for free.

Scroll to top