Tuition:

Video Library | Tuition Sections

Community:

Join | Log In | Help | Useful Links

New Forum System - click here to visit our new & improved forum system >>>

Nett or Gross Score

Posted by: user447728 | Wed 21st Mar 2012 14:13 | Last Reply

Hi,

Am quite new to this website and the game itself, I wonder if someone can settle an argument for me. When I have been entering a round I have been entering my gross score and I believe that the system will calculate my net score. My friend has told me that I should never score a hole more than two over, for example I scored 9 (!) on a par 4, I entered 9 on my score card, he said I should have marked this down as a 6.

Thanks for any help guys.

Phil

re: Nett or Gross Score
user338942
Reply : Wed 21st Mar 2012 14:17

Always input the full score.   The way the handicap system works, if you score a nett +2 for a hole, that +2 will be taken into account when calculating your handicap.

If for example you are -6 to your handicap and you bottle it on the last hole scoring a 14, you would still post your score of 14, but your handicap would be worked out as if you shot -4

user447728
Reply : Wed 21st Mar 2012 14:35

Thanks Dave, that is what I thought. Shame really as I started my round 4, 9, 4, 10 last week! 4, 6, 4, 6 looks much better!

user99350
Reply : Wed 21st Mar 2012 15:28

Philip, when you go around with a club (sometimes a committee) member putting your three cards in for your club handicap then a double bogey is the highest score your marker can put down. I think that's where your friend gets this from.  Good luck.

user33026 [FORUM MODERATOR]
Reply : Wed 21st Mar 2012 20:18

When calculating a handicap all scores are rounded down to net double bogey if they are higher.  You should still enter the full score and the system will take care of it

user8 [FORUM MODERATOR]
Reply : Wed 21st Mar 2012 21:53

Here on Golfshake we use a similar system to what Pat's mentioned above for the first 3 rounds which is the double bogey adjustment.

After that the for each round the scores are adjusted to a nett double bogey.  Basically the lowest score that you don't score any stableford points on.

Obviously the key thing when recording scores here on Golfshake is to record the actual score and the system does the rest    the system now allows you to enter a 'n' for a blob/no return score and it automatically calculates the nett double bogey.

The Forums have now moved to a new version

We have now moved the forum to a new and improved system which provides more functionality plus provides easier access from desktop, tablets and smart phone devices.

Click here to view the new forum & register for free.

Scroll to top