Gear | Tour | Industry Insider

Tuition:

Video Library | Tuition Sections

Community:

Join | Log In | Help | Useful Links

New Forum System - click here to visit our new & improved forum system >>>

Joker / Mulligan ?

Posted by: user430457 | Sun 18th Mar 2012 09:25 | Last Reply

Reading the interview with Petr Cech in Today's Golfer, he was asked "What one thing would you change about golf?" His response " I would add the chance to use a joker or have a mulligan once in every round..."

So, dumb question of the day, what is a joker and a mulligan?

re: Joker / Mulligan ?
user52922
Reply : Sun 18th Mar 2012 09:31

a free shot.

user430457
Reply : Sun 18th Mar 2012 09:38

Thanks John.

In which case it seems a daft idea, surely the handicap system is sufficient to even out play. Dumb question part 2 then, why mulligan, where does the name come from?

user355541
Reply : Sun 18th Mar 2012 09:39

Having a mulligan means that you can cancel the horrid unwelcome shot you've just played and replay the shot without penalty.

user16106
Reply : Sun 18th Mar 2012 09:45

A shot you can replay without any penalty. I would not endorse the introduction of a mulligan. You would likely have your mulligan on the 5th then shoot the round of your life after that. That wouldnt count as your best round. I once picked up on the fairway of the 6th after 6 shots for a blob then shot about 3 over for the remaining 12 holes gutted. I think I had 73 and a pick up. Gutted.

Dave CAC handed Geordie.

user202037 [FORUM MODERATOR]
Reply : Sun 18th Mar 2012 12:34

Golf started as 'Match-Play' and the Pro's gambled their way to a decent living. All sorts of 'shots' were given and taken, I think a "Mulligan" became one of them.

Today, it is not uncommon to give/get '? up start' and then play off scratch, or get "? shot to half".

Just adds fun to a Match. Some advice though, keep away from "Full Automatics", you think you are playing for £1 + full automatics, but can lose hundereds of pounds in the end.

TheLyth

The Forums have now moved to a new version

We have now moved the forum to a new and improved system which provides more functionality plus provides easier access from desktop, tablets and smart phone devices.

Click here to view the new forum & register for free.

Scroll to top