Gear | Tour | Industry Insider

Tuition:

Video Library | Tuition Sections

Community:

Join | Log In | Help | Useful Links

New Forum System - click here to visit our new & improved forum system >>>

Emotion whilst playing

Posted by: user406037 | Mon 12th Mar 2012 15:53 | Last Reply

Just got back from playing at Frodsham Golf Course in Cheshire and played like i have never played before, (in a good way) I ended up going round in 82 Gross 12 over gross in total. This was my best ever round to date which i am extremely pleased with HOWEVER. I knew i was playing well and all my putts seemed to be coming together apart from the odd 3 putt, i didnt even look at a running total of my scores as i didnt want any more pressure on my shoulders. Anyway it all came down to the last 3 holes, the 16th is SI 1 and needless to say is a very tricky hole i drive that has to carry a gauge and then your second shot is lined with the gauge on the left and a big oak tree in the centre of your second shot. I ended up taking an 8 on this hole and no word of a lie felt like crying... i knew this would have messed my score card up with one stupid little hole. i felt so so gutted and i knew i had to forget about it whilst i still had a hard par 3 and par 5 to go. I bogey'd the 17th and 18th which wasn't too bad. Anyway what i was curious about was, has anybdoy ever cried or felt like it whilst playing this weird and wonderfull game?

re: Emotion whilst playing
user24437
Reply : Mon 12th Mar 2012 16:17

Nah, just forget about it and concentrate on the next shot.  Can't see the point in getting over-emotional about a duff shot.  Off course I get jerked off, but I just try and calm myself down and move on.

I know the hole at Frodsham you speak of, very pretty.  And I seem to remember I got a par on it after a spanking drive ( for me) to about 3 yards past the tree and then pinned the green.....

user406037
Reply : Mon 12th Mar 2012 16:44

I just think to myself ''what if'' ... if i didnt get an 8 i could of had a sub 80 round!!! oh well i know what you mean though i must just try to get over a bad shot alot quicker

16th is a very pretty hole indeed and the pin was at the far back left , very tricky 2nd shot. Playing there again in a society on Friday for 27 holes so lets make sure i tell it whose boss next time

user8 [FORUM MODERATOR]
Reply : Mon 12th Mar 2012 16:45

Did you track your additional stats Kyle ?

user406037
Reply : Mon 12th Mar 2012 17:14

I Didnt darren unfortunately i was meaning to and i started off, but soon started to forget, when the cards come through i will use them hopefully  

user369251
Reply : Mon 12th Mar 2012 17:50

When things aren't going right I get really angry, and then if they get worse, I just laugh about it and try and get round asap. Tim's right, be cold and callous and each shot as it comes. Save the enjoyment for the final totting up of score. Enjoy ripping the course the proverbial new one... because half the time it will do the same to you haha

user410273
Reply : Tue 13th Mar 2012 07:55

Rarely get angry but occasionally frustrated. Sometimes, if I'm playing a spectacular course, e.g. Braemar with the stunning views and wildlife, I'm in awe at the beauty and majesty of my surroundings.

user23669
Reply : Tue 13th Mar 2012 10:35

When I played better than before on the last 3 holes at Metrick I teed off with irons & finished Birdie,Par Par for a gross score of 76 net 60 I scored 45 points & felt ecstatic. I had even lost a ball & lost a couple of points on another hole so could of done even better. I normally collapse at least twice a round & ruin a card & get so annoyed, I haven't got to crying yet but have got very close tho

user451055
Reply : Tue 13th Mar 2012 11:14

Before I took up golf properly I went round a course in New Zealand with my husband who is a good player. His brother and sister made up the 4 ball. I remember on the 4th hole taking about 7 shots in a fairway bunker and was still in it. I had all 3 of them giving me different advice on how to get out and in the end just burst into tears and picked up my ball. Not in any kind of anger - just sheer frustration. I walked the next couple of holes to compose myself and then played the rest.

When I decided to take up golf properly I took lessons for 6 months before allowing myself to desecrate any course!

I now try to always play the best I can for each shot and not think about any others and definitely don't count my score. 

I revisited the same course in New Zealand and shot a career best 90 - that was 12 shots better than I had ever shot before (or since!).

user217280
Reply : Tue 13th Mar 2012 17:11

I used to get frustrated years ago, then while watching the PGA at Wentworth a few years back I watched how many pro's went into the tree's and duck hooked it of the tee, and because I was there before the cut was made I was surprised how many over par some of the players were, and these were recognized players. I thought then that if these players can hit bad shots when practising and playing as much as they do , then what chance have I got playing once a week, hitting a few balls before a game. These days it just is what it is on the day, I just enjoy being on the golf course, there are much worse places I could be.  

user40826
Reply : Tue 13th Mar 2012 20:13

Stood on the 17th tee +2, first time I had to wait due to a group in front, walked off the course +7

Shot a triple bogey on 17, and a double at the last.  Gutted. 

user406037
Reply : Wed 14th Mar 2012 18:58

Thanks for the reply's it makes interesting reading and also puts alot into perspective for me. im not sure i felt anger but like others have mentioned it was more frustration than anthing.

user369251
Reply : Thu 15th Mar 2012 13:31

I should state in regards to my earlier post, when I say angry, I mean purely with myself, so I suppose it's more frustration. I don't start kicking bags, or hurling obscenities about!

The Forums have now moved to a new version

We have now moved the forum to a new and improved system which provides more functionality plus provides easier access from desktop, tablets and smart phone devices.

Click here to view the new forum & register for free.

Scroll to top