Gear | Tour | Industry Insider

Tuition:

Video Library | Tuition Sections

Community:

Join | Log In | Help | Useful Links

New Forum System - click here to visit our new & improved forum system >>>

Driver Inconsistency

Posted by: user350435 | Mon 12th Mar 2012 13:08 | Last Reply

Most of the time when I use my driver I hit it straight (ish) and a reasonable distance, however every so often I will catch one right off the heel and it flies left at about a 45 degree angle which most of the time results in my ball being lost.  Or even worse than this the ball comes off the underside of the hosel (i know this because there is a ball mark there) and shoots along the ground to the left.  anyone else ever experience this and know the cause of it?

re: Driver Inconsistency
user369251
Reply : Mon 12th Mar 2012 13:15

Hi Matt, I too suffer from the occasional driving woes... For me, my problems originate from trying to smash the ball miles, i lose grip, turn the clubface etc, resulting in wild slices or horrendous slaps. Keep it simple and slow the swing down a touch so you can see the club head hit the ball square at impact.

user99350
Reply : Mon 12th Mar 2012 15:33

Matt, are you concious of doing anything different on these shots rather than your normal drives? What makes you go outside the line? Next time you do it, mentally review the swing. Failing that, follow Chris' advice. Remember to concentrate on the strike and forget about distance. When you're sorted out, don't fall into the trap of 'I'll just give this a bit more welly' remember it takes just a minute to fall off that plateau that took you weeks to get there.

user350435
Reply : Mon 12th Mar 2012 17:41

I have been known in the past to not rotate my hips enough and as a result the swing is 'all arms'.  Not sure if this could be a reason for the bad drives?

user320021
Reply : Mon 12th Mar 2012 17:42

there are loads of possibilities, I would suggest a lesson is the best option, but the most simple explaination would be that you'e standing too close.

user350435
Reply : Mon 12th Mar 2012 17:50

cheers colin, im having a lesson on wednesday so will hopefully get to the bottom of why I do it.  my coach has already sorted my iron play out, i was struggling big time until i found him - he's worth every penny of the £15 that i pay him for a lesson!

user78137
Reply : Wed 14th Mar 2012 20:09

I went through the same problems last season.  In my case my bad back did not help.

It is normally the hands getting a little too involved.  The hips must shift & the body come through, if you stop this then the hands take over flipping the clubhead. Duck hook, slap, bloody frustrating!

My stats for last year on fairway hits were 85 percent, if only I could stop this.

Sometimes it came from tiredness or teying to hit 5000 yards down the fairway.

Stay smooth, try to allow the hands to rotate naturally & try to let the lower body start the downswing & continue the momentum!

The Forums have now moved to a new version

We have now moved the forum to a new and improved system which provides more functionality plus provides easier access from desktop, tablets and smart phone devices.

Click here to view the new forum & register for free.

Scroll to top