Gear | Tour | Industry Insider

Tuition:

Video Library | Tuition Sections

Community:

Join | Log In | Help | Useful Links

New Forum System - click here to visit our new & improved forum system >>>

Playing after lots of practice

Posted by: user407798 | Mon 5th Mar 2012 22:43 | Last Reply

Got my 1st full 18 this year into today - well just - started at 3pm and thanks to a seemingly empty course came off the last at Hurtmore GC (near Guildford) just before 6pm. If only was always as stress free! Could have been a bit warmer and less windy but it is March I guess!

Been having a course of lessons at Pachesham GC in Leatherhead (I work round the corner) - both on the range, short-game area and a few "supervised" holes on the course at lunchtime since start of year. Although actually playing on grass never seems as easy as flying shots out on the "easy-hit" mats on range, think am making some progress. My previous tendency to fade even slice is much less than it was and the pro reckons have gained about 1/2 club in length since started.

Well today shot comfortably to my golfshake handicap of 14 admittedly on a fairly short and open course although was rather windy. I say think am making progress as the 83 felt could have been so much better - a couple of  total mishits (dreaded fault of looking where want it to go before hitting it!) and several lip outs. In with that some shots that flew up and stopped nicely near the pin is always good feeling.

I don't know about everybody else, I tend not to play to try to handicap but to the par. After all I am good enough to be able par any hole (at least on that course) - not just not too many in a row!

The pro thinks a single figure handicap is a reasonable target. Should I be looking to actually play quite a lot as well as practice do you think? I guess any round not in a competition proper is practice...

Thanks for reading...

re: Playing after lots of practice
user437159
Reply : Tue 6th Mar 2012 17:49

i agree, i also play myself to par. ive recently starting playing more than practicing and found more improvement. i think to practice once a week and play as much as you can is a  good ratio.

re: Playing after lots of practice
user369251
Reply : Thu 8th Mar 2012 15:46

I'll play as often as possible, and practice after the round on what has let me down, just for 20 mins or so to get it right. I agree with your ratio's as suggested.

The Forums have now moved to a new version

We have now moved the forum to a new and improved system which provides more functionality plus provides easier access from desktop, tablets and smart phone devices.

Click here to view the new forum & register for free.

Scroll to top