Gear | Tour | Industry Insider

Tuition:

Video Library | Tuition Sections

Community:

Join | Log In | Help | Useful Links

New Forum System - click here to visit our new & improved forum system >>>

yellow posts

Posted by: user229499 | Sun 4th Mar 2012 19:51 | Last Reply

do you lose a shots when you hit the yellow post and then the ball goes backward into the water hazard?

re: yellow posts
user20126 [FORUM MODERATOR]
Reply : Sun 4th Mar 2012 20:12

You don't lose a shot for hitting the post, but you will lose a shot for the ball going into the hazard, unless of course you can play the ball from where it is!

Check the scorecard as you can normally take the post out of the ground before you play your shot.  Please put it back after you have played your shot.

If the scorecard states that you cannot remove the post then you normally get a free drop.

Russ

user40826
Reply : Sun 4th Mar 2012 20:16

Am I right in thinking you hit a shot, it hit the post, then deflected into the water?  If so, tough luck. Them's the rules

user229499
Reply : Sun 4th Mar 2012 20:16

what does that mean john?

user40826
Reply : Sun 4th Mar 2012 20:21

I think you rattled his cage

user16163
Reply : Sun 4th Mar 2012 21:31

Probably something to do with the majority of people who play this great game but have no knowledge of simple and basic rules

if I was you I would go out and get yourself a copy and do some reading!!!

user52922
Reply : Sun 4th Mar 2012 23:17

So "I despair" was moderated.and deleted. Where do you guys come from?

You've got it right, Darren.

user16163
Reply : Mon 5th Mar 2012 06:34

not quite off by heart dave but i certainly know a hell of a lot more than i did,and i wont make that mistake ever again!!!!

cheekyhttp://www.golfshake.com/scripts/ckeditor362/plugins/smiley/images/tounge_smile.gif" title="cheeky" width="20" />

user356537
Reply : Mon 5th Mar 2012 08:29

No problem with moving red or yellow stakes but just remember that white stakes (out of bounds markers) are an integral part of the course and can never be moved.  You don't get any relief from an out of bounds marker unless you take a penalty drop.

It's amazing how many golfers think you can move them!

Richard

user16106
Reply : Mon 5th Mar 2012 12:09

Swings & roundabouts Matt. On saturday I pushed my 2nd shot on a par 5. It was flying towards the woods. It hit the 150 marker and ended up on the edge of the fairway. Made Par. I take it you hid a water hazard marker and bounced into the hazard. Thats just bad luck.

Dave CAC handed Geordie.

user369251
Reply : Mon 5th Mar 2012 17:32

genuine question now... On saturday I hit my tee shot, and it went OOB, however, as I was making my way up the fairway, a passer by saw my ball in the neighbouring garden to the golf course, and threw the ball back in play. In the interests of fairness I played my provisional, took the penalty and finished the hole. However, would it have been ok to play the ball hurled back in to play by the passer by as my second shot?

user356537
Reply : Mon 5th Mar 2012 17:44

If it's a deliberate act rather than an accidental act then the ball would be deemed to be out of bounds as it has to be dropped as close as possible to the point where it came to rest.  If it hit the passer-by and bounced back in bounds that would be a rub of the green and the ball would be in play.

Richard

user52922
Reply : Mon 5th Mar 2012 18:05

My interpretation is that provided you did not ask the person to throw the ball back then it is a rub of the green and your good fortune.

user338942
Reply : Mon 5th Mar 2012 20:26

Certainly works like that on tour. 

Theres a great video from a good few years ago of a ball bouncing through a stand, everyone stands up getting out the way until it gets to a women sorting her bag out. It thuds her bag and without looking just throws it behind her back in play.

user369251
Reply : Mon 5th Mar 2012 21:18

Apologies I did t make it clear JP but your interpretation is correct. The passer by just threw it back over without being prompted. My opponents said it would be illegal to play that ball so I just went with the flow. 

user16163
Reply : Mon 5th Mar 2012 21:23

As far as I am aware, unfortunately it is oob

i believe it falls under the "ball at rest" rule

user446732
Reply : Sun 11th Mar 2012 22:27

As said above. The ball was at rest OOB so it is OOB. At least you got your ball back. laughhttp://www.golfshake.com/scripts/ckeditor362/plugins/smiley/images/teeth_smile.gif" title="laugh" width="20" />

The Forums have now moved to a new version

We have now moved the forum to a new and improved system which provides more functionality plus provides easier access from desktop, tablets and smart phone devices.

Click here to view the new forum & register for free.

Scroll to top