Gear | Tour | Industry Insider

Tuition:

Video Library | Tuition Sections

Community:

Join | Log In | Help | Useful Links

New Forum System - click here to visit our new & improved forum system >>>

Exciting AND golf related!

Posted by: user293240 | Thu 1st Mar 2012 09:40 | Last Reply

Had some exciting news the other week and now it looks a bit more solid I thought I'd share.

As some of you know that although my golf is quite poor most of the time, I can put together some rather nice clubs (I just cant swing them very well).

Although I'm at the start of my "life chapter" in Club making (only been doing it 18 months/2 years) I always saw this as "well if it happens it happens and if it doesn't then what a great hobby to have". It's happened!

So over the next couple of weeks I'll be moving some of my workshop equipment in, hanging sinage and building a suitably "shop-esqe" work station.

All I have to do now is jump through the right hoops to turn my advertised hobby into a real life business. It's a huge very VERY scary step and I'm very excited.

I'll confirm the golf club in question when its happened so I can share pictures etc. But for now, I just wanted to tell you all!!!!

re: Exciting AND golf related!
user127691
Reply : Thu 1st Mar 2012 13:51

Well done Matt; I hope it all works out well for you.

user24437
Reply : Thu 1st Mar 2012 16:55

Matt

being self-employed myself I know what you're letting yourself in for and how you feel.  If you can keep it going it's one of the most worthwhile experiences you'll ever have.  I've still got a copy of the first cheque I earned on my office wall  - just remember the rules and you'll be OK.

Don't give anything away, mates rates are OK but remember, it's your wages and they can afford something!

PS  can you get me some cheap shafts.

user356537
Reply : Thu 1st Mar 2012 16:57

Congratulations Matt.  I wish you every success.

If you need any help or advice on the logistics of running your own business - accounting requiresments, VAT or registering with HMRC just let me know.  I'm a chartered accountant by trade and would be happy to share help if I can.

Richard

user16106
Reply : Thu 1st Mar 2012 17:21

Best of luck with that Matt. This time next year.......

Dave CAC handed Geordie

user24437
Reply : Thu 1st Mar 2012 18:06

Matt

Set up a Limited Company or Limited Liability Partnership, a good accountant will help you and they are worth their weight in gold for stuff like this - as Richard will know!  It seems complex at first but you'll soon get the hang of tax avoidance the best way to maximise your income.

user33026 [FORUM MODERATOR]
Reply : Thu 1st Mar 2012 22:31

Congratulations Matt.  Hope it all works out well for you

I have set myself up as a limited company in the last couple of weeks.  If you get the right people then it's very painless.  Mine set up my bank account and everything!  The most difficult thing is coming up with a company name.  Drop me a PM if you want me to pass you the details

user26342
Reply : Fri 2nd Mar 2012 13:02

Chris,

what company name did you decide on? Slugs Ltd, Slugs r Us, Some Loser Using Golf Sticks?

Reply : Fri 2nd Mar 2012 21:59

It's not choosing a name that's difficult John, it's finding one that isn't already registered at Companies House.  You wouldn't believe some of the random stuff that is taken

user77012
Reply : Sat 3rd Mar 2012 10:47

Well  done Matt, glad you decided to give it a go. Good luck.

Nice post JF got in there before me winkhttp://www.golfshake.com/scripts/ckeditor362/plugins/smiley/images/wink_smile.gif" title="wink" width="20" /> could of had  The silvertrail company or the Sloath Ranger!  or a bit of irony SpeedyCP! smileyhttp://www.golfshake.com/scripts/ckeditor362/plugins/smiley/images/regular_smile.gif" title="smiley" width="20" />

user356537
Reply : Sat 3rd Mar 2012 18:41

Matt, I'm not knocking CAB but I would suggest you contact your local Business Link.  I can't help but think that they will be able to provide you with better and more relevant support.

Richard

user24437
Reply : Sat 3rd Mar 2012 20:50

I agree Richard.  Would also recommend contacting your local Federation of Small Businesses branch - lots of advice and benefits including FREE business banking through the Coop

http://www.fsb.org.uk/

Reply : Sat 3rd Mar 2012 21:13

I did mine through Brookson.  Arranged for incorporation, banking, indemnity insurance and are being my accountants too.  I've used them before for umbrella services when contracting and can't fault them

user26342
Reply : Sat 3rd Mar 2012 21:19

"I've used them before for umbrella services"

I knew I'd seen you in Resident Evil!

The Forums have now moved to a new version

We have now moved the forum to a new and improved system which provides more functionality plus provides easier access from desktop, tablets and smart phone devices.

Click here to view the new forum & register for free.

Scroll to top