Gear | Tour | Industry Insider

Tuition:

Video Library | Tuition Sections

Community:

Join | Log In | Help | Useful Links

New Forum System - click here to visit our new & improved forum system >>>

Your club

Posted by: user408074 | Wed 29th Feb 2012 21:15 | Last Reply

Hi, I am looking at joining my first club - will be close to York. There are a few to choose from.

I was just wondering how close/far people live and work to their clubs? 

Would you join a club that you would only really be able to get to on a weekend?  Problem being I don't finish work until 5.30 at the earliest

Duncan

re: Your club
user79118
Reply : Wed 29th Feb 2012 22:06

Duncan,

when I joined my club it was half way between my home and work, about 4 miles away, very handy. I have since changed jobs but not homes and now have 45 minutes travel time from work and like yourself only finish around 5.30. I still manage to get up there for 9 holes in the evening, summer of course and to be honest I find this enough instead of doing 18 after a hard days work. When I worked out the cost of being a member against pay on the day green fee's I only have to play twice a month to justify my outlay, anything else is a bonus. All in all the location to my home, the membership costs and the fact that I am happy with 9 holes during the weeks evenings helped me to decide to stay at my current club. I have considered getting up early and playing on the way to work. It was not unknown for my playing partner and myself to be teeing off at 5 in the morning, getting 18 in and still be in work for 9am when we were younger (15 years ago).

user202037 [FORUM MODERATOR]
Reply : Wed 29th Feb 2012 23:29

Duncan,

There is a wide variety of Clubs close to you and without knowing your actual location I can't say which is best, because of the A64 By-Pass.

Selby will be good for one location, but not for another.

Where are you located for 'home' and 'Office'?

It could be good to join a local Pay & Play and use that to get a 'Country Membership' on the coast.

TheLyth

user106712
Reply : Thu 1st Mar 2012 09:02

Pike hills is a nice course and the annual subs are £595. there is a joining fee which can be payed over 3 years.

Last edit : Thu 1st Mar 2012 09:03
user127691
Reply : Thu 1st Mar 2012 13:54

I prefer to have my club close to work so I can take advantage of golfing during the week, I don't mind the extra bit of travelling at the weekend because the light isn't usually an issue. Does add to the ear ache though!

user356537
Reply : Thu 1st Mar 2012 17:05

Our house is a good 3 wood from the 13th green at my club!  The clubhouse is about a par 7 from my front door so very convenient if I should, very occasionally, have one or two pints of beer (or cider) too many at the club after a round!

Richard

user369251
Reply : Thu 1st Mar 2012 17:57

My house is 5mins walk from the club, although (due to public transport) I'm an hour door to door to the office. Can't wait for the summer nights when I can finish early, get home and have a few holes.

user33026 [FORUM MODERATOR]
Reply : Thu 1st Mar 2012 22:26

My club is about 15 mins from my house but about 50 mins from the office.  Thank goodness for flexitime.

One of the clubs about 10 mins from work is offering a 5 day membership for £280 for a year from April.  It's a decent track (The Bristol) but gets very wet in winter.  Tempting to though just for when we have the light nights and Friday afternoons

user202037 [FORUM MODERATOR]
Reply : Thu 1st Mar 2012 22:46

Duncan,

Fulford has an advantage, in that they are members of the "1906 Club" so you get free rounds at a number of other courses, Crans Sur Sierre being one.

If its too pricey, what about Forest Park?

TheLyth

The Forums have now moved to a new version

We have now moved the forum to a new and improved system which provides more functionality plus provides easier access from desktop, tablets and smart phone devices.

Click here to view the new forum & register for free.

Scroll to top