Gear | Tour | Industry Insider

Tuition:

Video Library | Tuition Sections

Community:

Join | Log In | Help | Useful Links

New Forum System - click here to visit our new & improved forum system >>>

Breaking 80

Posted by: user16106 | Sat 25th Feb 2012 21:20 | Last Reply

To all of you out there that have broke 80, did you have a plan ? Did you allow yourself a bogie on half a dozen or so holes, and expect to par the rest. Or did you just go out and play and the score took care of itself. Were you cautious or did you take lots of risks to get the sub 80.

Dave CAC handed Geordie ( lives in hope )

Last edit : Sat 25th Feb 2012 21:23
re: Breaking 80
user115085
Reply : Sat 25th Feb 2012 21:52

I think you've just got to "let it happen" Dave. I've only done it a few times, but each one of those I've not been aware of my running score......when I keep an eye on it the pressure builds and I start playing conservative. Problem is for us mid handicaps is we are just as likely to duff a few safe options as we are aggressive shots. Play your opponent and let the score take care of itself.

user52922
Reply : Sat 25th Feb 2012 22:43

To break 80 at my club means shooting 6 over par, so a prettty tall ask.

user24437
Reply : Sun 26th Feb 2012 01:09

I've managed it once, albeit at a par 69 course (Grassmoor, you should remember that course John) with everything going for me.  I was with two guys playing matchplay so was half keeping an eye on them and not really concentrating on scoring myself - I only found out I'd broken 80 after we'd finished and I counted up.  And I think that's the key, relax and don't keep play to score and it'll come.

Just need to do it on a full size course now...

user369251
Reply : Sun 26th Feb 2012 09:10

Dave I would definitely say don't check the scorecard. On the 2 occasions I've broke 80 (one being yesterday) I only touched the scorecard to mark. If you start thinking "I'm on for this" inevitably the next shot will be wasted. Keep calm, play each hole as it comes and focus on the basics of hitting fairway then hitting green. Best of luck mate

user38216
Reply : Sun 26th Feb 2012 10:23

I always play my best stuff when I don't have to think about the swing, just where I want the ball to go (see the shot). On those rare days when it happens it feels magic. Just need those days to become more frequent!!

user410273
Reply : Sun 26th Feb 2012 19:12

As JP pointed out breaking 80 means different things on different courses. On some courses it could be 11 over par yet on others it might only be 6 over. I know breaking 80 is a huge marker for so many players but in reality its about posting the lowest score you can, and not setting artificial barriers. How many people bottle it when they're on the verge of breaking 80, and how many of them wouldn't give it a second thought if it was to break 83? How many count their scores after 9 and then set themselves a target on the back 9? "I've done 40, and if I can do 38 on the back 9..." Score will be what it will be but setting targets makes it harder.

The very thought of breaking a target puts extra pressure on the player. Its a cliche but play each shot at a time, and each hole at a time. Do that and I'll put money on you shooting better scores.

user33026 [FORUM MODERATOR]
Reply : Sun 26th Feb 2012 21:17

When I shot my current PB (80) I had no idea I had scored so low.  Knew I'd had a decent round but hadn't even thought about the score.  A few weeks ago I was most definitely on for sub-80 and needed two bogies on the last two to achieve it.  I started worrying about what I would score instead of just playing the hole and took an 8 on the par 4 17th.  In short, I choked and blew it

Just play the game and let the score take care of itself is my advice.  Get the pleasant surprise when you add up at the end

user382439
Reply : Sun 26th Feb 2012 21:19

I agree with all of that.  I got a 78 last week and it was the first time I had broken 80, my previous best was an 86 ( so not too sure where that came from).  I went out in 39 and didn't check my card again until the end, so I had no idea I'd broken 80 until my last putt went in.

Predictably though this week I scored an 88 so kind of back where I was with the usual silly mistakes.  Concentrate on each shot and I'm sure you will get there.  I did it and wasn't expecting a score anywhere near that just yet.

user16106
Reply : Mon 27th Feb 2012 19:19

Thats unanamous, DONT plan your score but just let it happen. The nearest I ever got was an 81. I counted my score on the 18th tee and needed a par for a 79. Got a double bogie. Although the way I played yesterday  Ive got more chance of winning spot the ball than breaking 80.

Dave CAC handed Geordie.

user21179
Reply : Mon 27th Feb 2012 19:27

Dave

i have to say that i always prefer to mark the card and keep a good track on my score.

Once i give up counting i tend to give up caring !

Dont play stapleford if you want to break 80, purely play strokeplay for a number of rounds and see how important each shot becomes. 

Good luck in your quest, it still feels good to shoot a 70 something !

Tim

user16106
Reply : Mon 27th Feb 2012 19:32

Gav, Just looked at your sub 80 at waterhall. Looked like you just kept it in play and had no bad holes. Well done. Very good off the tee. I play there quite a lot and its tricky when the wind gets up. I still havnt reached the green of the 9th yet in about 10 tries.

Dave CAC handed Geordie.

user16106
Reply : Mon 27th Feb 2012 19:35

Tim, I always keep the score on every hole ( I even count gimmies ). I mean I am not going to add the scores as a running total. PS hows your blades going?

Dave CAC handed Geordie.

user21179
Reply : Mon 27th Feb 2012 19:46

Dave

Put it this way, they are in the shed and my old Cobras are back in the bag.

My 74 last week was my only round since dec with the old irons !

Had a video lesson today and he sees no problem with me using them.

Its just that mis hits are so bad with them that i think it affects me mentally, having said that i am not totally convinced about the x100 stiff shafts !! 

will take a good deal more time at the range before they force their way back into the bag.

How about you ?

user52922
Reply : Mon 27th Feb 2012 19:51

Y0u are right about those X100 shafts, TIm, you don't need those.

user16106
Reply : Mon 27th Feb 2012 19:55

Tim, I havnt used them since I played in a soc and could not hit 1 decent shot. I then got back with my fatshafts and shot a pretty good 41pts (85 ). I have then since purchased a set of Callaway X-12. 1st round hit lots of good shots. 2nd round yesterday  couldnt get the ball in the air? I have a soc on saturday at pine ridge and may go back to my fatshafts.

Dave CAC handed Geordie.

user382439
Reply : Mon 27th Feb 2012 20:15

Dave.  I'm glad you know the course, so you can get a bit of context of my round.  You're spot on I managed to play each hole fairly steadily which brought the score down, not sure if I'll do it again though

It is very nasty to play when windy and I've never hit that green on the 9th either, in fact I don't know many people who have which makes it a very tough par 3.

Good luck, keep going and you'll get there

user338942
Reply : Tue 28th Feb 2012 12:06

I've shot 80 on 6 occasions now and never managed to knock that extra figure off.  Got a game improvement plan for this year though. Lesson a month, plenty of time on the range and making the most of the new short game area at my club.  Got to be the year to break 80 for me!!

user16106
Reply : Tue 28th Feb 2012 12:28

I'll race you to it dave. I think it will only take a day of keeping it in play and a few good putts go in. Sounds easy.

Dave CAC handed Geordie.

user217280
Reply : Tue 28th Feb 2012 17:05

Forget the score, just pick a target, hit the ball to that, then pick another target, hit the ball to that and so on. Keep it simple,  I tend to play that way and for me it helps me to focus on each shot otherwise you can start to force the issue and your thoughts become about the score, which leads to loss of focus during your swing and poor execution of the shot which leads to poor scores a vicious circle.  I am trying to break 70 on a more regular basis, it is the same principle, one shot at a time.

The Forums have now moved to a new version

We have now moved the forum to a new and improved system which provides more functionality plus provides easier access from desktop, tablets and smart phone devices.

Click here to view the new forum & register for free.

Scroll to top