Tuition:

Video Library | Tuition Sections

Community:

Join | Log In | Help | Useful Links

New Forum System - click here to visit our new & improved forum system >>>

Non Returns

Posted by: user52109 | Thu 9th Aug 2007 21:34 | Last Reply

Hi there,

I think a post on the previous board may have already been submitted but did we ever think about updating the site to allow N/r's to be recorded on a hole.

For example, if a member completes a round but records no score on a hole we cannot currently add this round as the only choice I am aware of just now was a recommendation of placing a 10 at such a hole but if the rest of his card was good this could artificially place him higher in the competition results.

This is of particular pain when you are running a complex custom points league as the winners and those who do record a full score theoretically get penalised as although more members played that day, only those who complete a score can be added. #

In my main club, the handicap system allows you to put a ZERO for a non score and this allows their card to be entered but automatically retruns an overall N/R score and places them at the bottom of the leaderboard.

Thanks

Jamie 

re: Non Returns
user52922
Reply : Thu 9th Aug 2007 23:01

A no return on any hole should render the card a non return. The game is 18 holes after all. Holes are usually given up on when the score has gone so high the player is pretty miffed and gives up. The finds that once the pressure is off starts to play better and then wishes to enter the card. Sorry golf does not work like that.

John

re: Non Returns
user52922
Reply : Thu 9th Aug 2007 23:21

I am afraid that I have to disagree with the way your club does this. A no return is a no return and has no bearing on any handicap adjustments. It goes without saying that the non returners are placed at the bottom of the results page noting that they have not returned cards. Nothing like a bit of  shame for the rest of the club to see.

It appears that you are attempting to run a competition under your own rules, fair enough, but I think it would be much better if the players concerned could be dragged to one side and have the rules of golf explained to them, so that they do not lose heart when they lose a ball, but adhere to the rules of golf and go back and play another one. After all the Pro's do it.

John

The Forums have now moved to a new version

We have now moved the forum to a new and improved system which provides more functionality plus provides easier access from desktop, tablets and smart phone devices.

Click here to view the new forum & register for free.

Scroll to top