Gear | Tour | Industry Insider

Tuition:

Video Library | Tuition Sections

Community:

Join | Log In | Help | Useful Links

New Forum System - click here to visit our new & improved forum system >>>

visitor to play at your club

Posted by: user437621 | Wed 22nd Feb 2012 13:03 | Last Reply

hiya not sure if someone can answer this or not but why do some clubs not let visitors onto there clubs on the weekend at all as i think its very unlikley there is going to be lots of visitors turning up at the club all on the same day i want to be a visitor to more clubs but cant due to work hours during the week i cant get out 2 far from my work as i dont want to be late for work any help would be gr8 thanks

re: visitor to play at your club
user131525
Reply : Wed 22nd Feb 2012 13:46

Simple case of supply and demand I think Bradley.  Most clubs will be full or nearly full with members at weekends.

user356537
Reply : Wed 22nd Feb 2012 18:51

James is quite right, a lot of private clubs do not want visitors at the weekend as the course is at capacity or the members just don't want visitors about.  Many feel that as they pay £1,000 a year to play golf they don't want the course clogged up with visitors!

user437621
Reply : Wed 22nd Feb 2012 22:36

the thing is most weekends i have been out so far the course(s) i have played since november onwords every weekend we play a different course and not one has been busy at all so i just cant see why the courses have to be member only at the weekend surley the courses cant really turn away cash as we all know how the ression is at the moment?

user52922
Reply : Wed 22nd Feb 2012 22:57

Join a club, Bradley, like everyone else who takes golf seriously.

user26342
Reply : Thu 23rd Feb 2012 07:35

Bradley, private golf clubs = exclusive to members on weekends.........simples.

user131525
Reply : Thu 23rd Feb 2012 11:48

I think you've answered your own question Bradley.  The courses that allow members on at weekends don't have the member demand so open them up.  The private clubs that don't open up their courses to visitors at weekends have members who play golf there, hence no space for visitors.  As John says...simples!

user437621
Reply : Thu 23rd Feb 2012 22:49

i was a member of a club for over 10 years it got stale playing the same club every week hense why i want to play different clubs every week/weekend and it improves your game playing different courses every week aswell (and i cant spell so what i have Dyslexia get over it)

user410273
Reply : Thu 23rd Feb 2012 23:52

Hi Bradley, most of the guys have covered the why's etc. The more exclusive the club, the less chance you have getting on at weekends. Recession or not a club tempers its offering depending on its needs. Going on from that, it depends what you want from golf. Some golfers enjoy more than just the golf itself, i.e. those that have really got into a club enjoy just being able to go in there for a beer, or several, and bump into guys they only see now and again but know well enough to have good banter with. Others just want to pay there fees, play golf then go home.

"Happy" active clubs rarely need to open up to visitors at weekends, and in truth if they did they'd get grief from their members.

Good luck with your golf.

user123290
Reply : Fri 24th Feb 2012 00:15

I agree with most of what has been said already. I'm a member of one of the best clubs in my local area and pay £1300 for it. As a member I like to be able to just turn up at a weekend with no need to book and not have to worry about it being clogged up with visitors. I'm sure if clubs were struggling for money they would open up to the general public.

user130832
Reply : Fri 24th Feb 2012 13:06

Surely, there are enough municiple courses to go round?

We have Southampton and Iford courses here on the South coast and both are excellent.there are others as well.

user117101
Reply : Mon 5th Mar 2012 17:04

Hi Bradley, I don't know where you play which is empty, but Lingfield where I play is always busy now, but you can go online to a lot of clubs now and book, if we fancy a change, near me we have Bletchingley, Mannings (Kingfisher) Copthorne, Lingfield (Marriott) so there is a lot of choice, plus they are good courses, and also if you have friends who are members you can always play as their guests, so lots of choice good luck.

user231854
Reply : Sat 4th Aug 2012 23:30

Come to Scotland, plenty of the clubs allow visitors on weekends. Thye either have the medals on one day of the weekend, or you can get on after 2.00pm

user20126 [FORUM MODERATOR]
Reply : Sun 5th Aug 2012 16:41

I'm sure that most clubs will allow visitors at a weekend after a certain time.

Give the club a ring and see what the say.

Russ

user451055
Reply : Mon 6th Aug 2012 08:47

Dyslexia does not make you spell great as gr8. My husband is very dyslexic but he manages to write perfectly well using such modern technologies as spell and grammar checker.

I always feel that a lack of any attempt at spelling or grammar checking is just an insult to those you are expecting to read your posts.

Grammar is there to make it easy to read and understand. Please at least make an attempt to get it right, it is rude not to.

Visitors at the weekend - most clubs will allow visitors later in the afternoon on both days. I do think though, as Grant said, that a lot of members simply do not appreciate the economics of running a club. They make a great fuss if their first choice weekend afternoon tee time is taken up by a visiting party but are also first to complain when the subs go up!

The Forums have now moved to a new version

We have now moved the forum to a new and improved system which provides more functionality plus provides easier access from desktop, tablets and smart phone devices.

Click here to view the new forum & register for free.

Scroll to top