Tee Times | Search | Reviews

News:

Gear | Tour | Industry Insider

Tuition:

Video Library | Tuition Sections

Community:

Join | Log In | Help | Useful Links

New Forum System - click here to visit our new & improved forum system >>>

Who buys a club on looks and hype alone?

Posted by: user338942 | Tue 21st Feb 2012 11:50 | Last Reply

It amazes me how often people plan a club purchase only from a picture they have seen, especially when it is the latest club from a top manufactuer.  Sometimes see it on here and often hear of people at the club talking about buying a club when it becomes available. 

Surely if your going to spend £250 on a golf club your going to test 5-8 clubs within the price range and go for the one which you strike the best, not the one you think will sit in your bag the best...

re: Who buys a club on looks and hype alone?
user52922
Reply : Tue 21st Feb 2012 11:53

What amazes me is why anyone is prepared to pay £250 for one golf club. More money than sense.

user338942
Reply : Tue 21st Feb 2012 12:02

If I had a pound for everytime I've heard of someone looking to buy a white-headed TaylorMade driver, I'd probably be able to buy one myself.  Seems people dont wish to consider Ping, Cleveland, Corba Titleist etc

user24437
Reply : Tue 21st Feb 2012 13:10

Dave.  I would argue that almost everybody buys a driver on looks and hype alone, although I agree that getting the latest kit is an obsession for some people.  You even fall for it in your last post, questioning why people don't consider the big brands you mention.  Why stop there?  I bet that very few people would be able to tell much difference between budget clubs and top names in a true blind test.  I'm also willing to bet that if you fitted any budget driver with a decent shaft that is suited to the swing then very few would be willing to shell out huge amounts on the big names anymore. 

user127343
Reply : Tue 21st Feb 2012 17:48

I agree completely with Tims post . I couldn`t have said it better myself so I wont,

regards,

Michael.

user79118
Reply : Tue 21st Feb 2012 18:26

I played with a bloke last year who paid £6 for a Dunlop driver in a sale at JJB. He can hit it miles further than me but was useless with any of the other drivers in our 4 ball.

user209897
Reply : Wed 22nd Feb 2012 21:43

there's people out there who insist on using nike pro v1's but struggle to get the club face on the ball,i suppose theres no accounting for taste

The Forums have now moved to a new version

We have now moved the forum to a new and improved system which provides more functionality plus provides easier access from desktop, tablets and smart phone devices.

Click here to view the new forum & register for free.

Scroll to top