Tuition:

Video Library | Tuition Sections

Community:

Join | Log In | Help | Useful Links

New Forum System - click here to visit our new & improved forum system >>>

MacGregor MC 501 Oversized Irons

Posted by: user448487 | Sun 19th Feb 2012 22:15 | Last Reply

Hi golfers,

I started playing again last summer using my MacGregor MC 501 Oversized irons and was playing off around 20. I changed my clubs a couple of times, I tried Callaway X20 Tour irons which I know are suited to more lower handicappers hense why I was struggling to hit under 28. Now I have gone back to my MacGregors, which I used Saturday and Sunday getting a 19 over on the Saturday and I played a 9 hole course twice as an 18 hole on the Sunday getting 20 over. Anyway the point I'm getting too is these clubs suit my swing and game much better. Was wondering what newer irons you would recommend?

Also I use the 1 wood that came with the set as my driver which I don't hit too bad, it has a steel shaft, but looking to get a new modern driver. I have seen on American Golf they have a deal for the Nike Machspeed Black STR8-Fit Round Head Driver, would you recommend this? Would I be more suited to a regular shaft or stiff shaft as its not a steel shaft?

Thanks

Josh

re: MacGregor MC 501 Oversized Irons
user448487
Reply : Mon 20th Feb 2012 17:57

To be fair I'm not looking to replace them for now gonna stick with them. But was more interested to see what irons were similar.

Thanks for your responce though.

user16106
Reply : Mon 20th Feb 2012 23:55

Josh, My advice as far as new driver goes is dont go out and spend lots of quids for a new fangle big stick. Look around on Ebay for a 2-3 year old brand name ( lots of choice )  for about £50. Go for regular shaft and 11-12 deg loft. Try it for a few rounds, if you dont like it sell it on and you should get your money back and its only cost you the postage. You may find one you like as I did. Macgregor eyeomatic M38 13.5 deg. Not the longest but hits very straight about 200-220 most of the time.

Dave CAC handed Geordie

user16106
Reply : Tue 21st Feb 2012 00:03

Josh, My advice as far as new driver goes is dont go out and spend lots of quids for a new fangle big stick. Look around on Ebay for a 2-3 year old brand name ( lots of choice )  for about £50. Go for regular shaft and 11-12 deg loft. Try it for a few rounds, if you dont like it sell it on and you should get your money back and its only cost you the postage. You may find one you like as I did. Macgregor eyeomatic M38 13.5 deg. Not the longest but hits very straight about 200-220 most of the time.

Dave CAC handed Geordie

The Forums have now moved to a new version

We have now moved the forum to a new and improved system which provides more functionality plus provides easier access from desktop, tablets and smart phone devices.

Click here to view the new forum & register for free.

Scroll to top