Gear | Tour | Industry Insider

Tuition:

Video Library | Tuition Sections

Community:

Join | Log In | Help | Useful Links

New Forum System - click here to visit our new & improved forum system >>>

Skycaddie GPS any good?

Posted by: user351506 | Sat 18th Feb 2012 05:49 | Last Reply

Hi all I wondered if any of you guys had used skycaddie for GPS?

Also was wondering how good is the system for inputting info such as drive length,putts,GIR and FIR?

The one i'm looking at in particular is the Skycaddie SGX.

Cheers, Chris. 

re: Skycaddie GPS any good?
user20126 [FORUM MODERATOR]
Reply : Sat 18th Feb 2012 11:26

Hi Chris, I've got the SkyCaddie SG5 so cannot comment on the SGX, although I've seen them out on the course.

I'm happy with my unit, but not very happy at having to pay an annual fee to use it!  Have you looked at one of the unitls where you don't have to pay this fee?

I cannot input any of the information you have mentioned, I have to write it on my scorecard.

The unit will keep your score and number of putts taken per round.  Then you connect to their website and you can add the information you want to that, a lot of messing around though!

You can press a button on the unit and then press the same button when you arrive at your ball, this will tell you the distance between the two points.

Russ

user40826
Reply : Sat 18th Feb 2012 11:49

I've got an SG5 and love it.  Battery lasts months, very accurate distance measuring. 

You can record fairways and greens hit or missed, well I can on mine anyway.

Well worth the investment.

user38216
Reply : Sat 18th Feb 2012 16:07

Skycaddie the best by far. I have the 2.5 but would love the SGX, my playing partner uses it and the hole view and cursor function is superb.  The annual fee is a bind but they do send guys out on the courses to measure up for accuracy, you cant say fairer than that!!

user20126 [FORUM MODERATOR]
Reply : Sat 18th Feb 2012 20:23

David, have you thought about trading in your old SkyCaddy and upgrading to the SGX?

Look on their website as I'm sure they are giving upto £75 for your old unit.

I did see recently that they are bringing out a new SGX, called the SGXw.  It is Wi-Fi enabled!

Russ

user38216
Reply : Sun 19th Feb 2012 11:56

Small matter of funds Russ, otherwise I would jump at it!!

user356537
Reply : Sun 19th Feb 2012 15:11

Chris, I think it is one of those times when you get what you pay for.  I have the 2.5 and I've been very happy with it. 

As others have mentioned, the annual fee is a an annoyance but when I first had my 2.5 we were doing some work on our course which invloved moving a green and changing a par 4 to a par 3.  Not excpecting much to happen, I dropped skycaddie a message explaining that some holes had changed.  Within 10 days they had sent someone out to remap the course.

Like David, if I had the money I'd update to the SGX wihtout hesitation.

Richard

user26342
Reply : Mon 20th Feb 2012 10:48

I've got the SGX & it's superb. the HoleVue feature is great.

The Forums have now moved to a new version

We have now moved the forum to a new and improved system which provides more functionality plus provides easier access from desktop, tablets and smart phone devices.

Click here to view the new forum & register for free.

Scroll to top