Gear | Tour | Industry Insider

Tuition:

Video Library | Tuition Sections

Community:

Join | Log In | Help | Useful Links

New Forum System - click here to visit our new & improved forum system >>>

First monthly medal

Posted by: user34817 | Fri 17th Feb 2012 07:27 | Last Reply

I have my first ever monthly medal comp. tomorrow morning and thoroughly looking forward to it.  Teeing off at 07:18 I'm in the second grouping to go out and playing in a three-ball.  It will also only be the second time I have played off the tips, the first being a couple of weeks ago when I got round in +6 net.  Will just be trying to play sensibly and keep the ball in play.  If I can get round in a little bit closer to par I will be happy.

Any tips on playing in the medal?

re: First monthly medal
user410273
Reply : Fri 17th Feb 2012 08:45

Its exactly the same game as if you were just out for a knock. No one shrinks the cups, or makes the holes longer. Just go out and have some fun, and if you post a decent score, brilliant. But if you don't, no one will die, no governments will fall and the earth won't open up and swallow you up.

Play with a smile.

user38216
Reply : Fri 17th Feb 2012 09:11

Tees back, holes tucked away? Probably not for February and the ball should stop where is lands on the green,  so give it your best shot, fire at the flags as no doubt the course will be set up tougher when the weather improves.

user34817
Reply : Fri 17th Feb 2012 09:40

Thanks guys. I will just enjoy it and see what happens. Don't think it would go down well if I went and won my first one anyway would it :-)

user26342
Reply : Fri 17th Feb 2012 10:36

Good luck. I can remember my 1st monthly medal. Never played off the back tees & had only been a member at the club for about a month. what a baptism of fire that was!!

Just stay calm & don't go for any 'hero' shots. Whatever happens, good or bad, you'll want to do it all again next month.

user69191
Reply : Fri 17th Feb 2012 10:56

"Play with a smile"

Agreed, best advice you can give anyone.

user20126 [FORUM MODERATOR]
Reply : Fri 17th Feb 2012 13:23

Is it a medal or a stableford competition?

At my golf club we don't start the medals until April, but we have stableford competitions during the winter months.

It's your first time so don't expect too much, just swing smoothly and think about your next shot.

I'm sure you will enjoy you day so just have fun.

Russ

user356537
Reply : Fri 17th Feb 2012 15:06

With a name like yours you can't go wrong!!!

Richard Lane

user34817
Reply : Sun 19th Feb 2012 15:32

Well it didn't quite go to plan but still enjoyed four hours on the course.  I actually played Stableford as at the club anyone up to 14 handicap plays stroke play and 15 and above play stableford.  I assume this is just to keep things moving.

I only managed to scrape together 23 points, 16 of those coming on the front nine.  Back nine was awful, blobbing 10, 11 & 12.  Driver would only go left and irons not much cop either.  God knows what I would have ended up with if playing stroke play!

Still, it was an enjoyable round and I managed to pick up £6 for getting a birdie on the par 3 5th.

Went out today and played nine holes on my own and driver worked fine.  It must be female with that sort of mood 'swing'. 

Oh well, looking forward to the next one and I'm glad to say that I wasn't even last.

user410273
Reply : Sun 19th Feb 2012 21:27

Good front 9 Richard, and you've proved you can play well under comp conditions. The next one will be easier.

The Forums have now moved to a new version

We have now moved the forum to a new and improved system which provides more functionality plus provides easier access from desktop, tablets and smart phone devices.

Click here to view the new forum & register for free.

Scroll to top